What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fans spin for 1 second then stop, no boot

Pabz0r545

Hey HWC! I'm having PC troubles again. I made a similar thread with similar but slightly different problem about 2 years ago. CPU and GPU fans spins for 1 second then stop but the PSU fan continues to spin. I checked all connections. Re-seated everything but cpu.

Tried the PSU paper clip test and the fan spins when I power it on. Not even sure what that means tbh. Is the PSU ok or could that still be the problem?

Also I should mention that my keyboard and mouse lights stay on after trying to power on. As well as the green led indicator light on my graphics card pcb.

and it only attempts to boot once without having to switch the power switch on the PSU off and on again.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

may be cpu toast try known unit

other check all usb ports are clear nothing inside

Jokester

did it just shut off randomly? or did you turn it off and then it did this on next start up? I doubt its the CPU. Pretty rare for the CPU to eat it.

Lysrin

*snip*
and it only attempts to boot once without having to switch the power switch on the PSU off and on again.
Your last comment there might rule out my experience but I will pass it on anyway just in case it helps. I had a similar issue where I would power on my PC, everything would start up for 1-2 sec, and switch off. The difference related to your last comment, was IIRC mine would keep trying to boot, repeating the 1-2 sec loop of power up, switch off if I left it alone. It never stayed powered long enough to even get access to the BIOS or load screens. I tried all the recommended things: different power supply, different combinations of RAM one stick at a time, running with and without GPU, running the bare system out of the case on the motherboard box to rule out shorts, and anything else forum folks or the manufacturer suggested. In the end it was a faulty motherboard, even though it was only a month old, and an RMA to ASUS for a replacement fixed the issue. I never did find out exactly what component(s) on the motherboard were messed up but replacing the motherboard did the trick.

It did present similar to your issue, no warning, no lead up symptoms. I just switched on my PC one day after having used it like normal the day before and off into the loop it went. I really thought power supply first but in the end motherboard was the culprit.

Pabz0r545

Cleared the CMOS? Changed the battery?
I did clear CMOS but I haven't changed the battery. I'll go buy one tomorrow for sure.

Your last comment there might rule out my experience but I will pass it on anyway just in case it helps. I had a similar issue where I would power on my PC, everything would start up for 1-2 sec, and switch off. The difference related to your last comment, was IIRC mine would keep trying to boot, repeating the 1-2 sec loop of power up, switch off if I left it alone. It never stayed powered long enough to even get access to the BIOS or load screens. I tried all the recommended things: different power supply, different combinations of RAM one stick at a time, running with and without GPU, running the bare system out of the case on the motherboard box to rule out shorts, and anything else forum folks or the manufacturer suggested. In the end it was a faulty motherboard, even though it was only a month old, and an RMA to ASUS for a replacement fixed the issue. I never did find out exactly what component(s) on the motherboard were messed up but replacing the motherboard did the trick.

It did present similar to your issue, no warning, no lead up symptoms. I just switched on my PC one day after having used it like normal the day before and off into the loop it went. I really thought power supply first but in the end motherboard was the culprit.
Thanks Lysrin I appreciate the input. If it's not the PSU I think it's definitely the motherboard. Going to try changing the battery next.