What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fans Spin, Won't POST or Beep

Scart

I just moved my computer into a new case i got from a friend with a modular power supply, but when i power it on, the fans spin, my cathode lights up, the mobo light is on, but there are no beeps and my monitor doesn't even come out of sleep mode.

I have tried:
clearing cmos
taking out one ram stick and both ram sticks (no beeps)
unplugging everything but cpu mobo and gfx card
switching power supplies

Please help

Scart

UPDATE
I just took the whole mobo out of the case and fired it up on the anti-static bag to no avail.

Even with any number of ram sticks in there it won't beep or do anything.

I don't have a different gfx card to try but even if that was the problem it should still be able to beep or something shouldn't it?

So as far as i can tell i am screwed and need a new cpu/mobo

I may take it into memory express and see what they can figure out, just in case.

Scart

Worked fine just before the move. I switched out to my old mobo and it works so i guess my mobo is done for. Think i can get it replaced under warranty?

klaiboi

UPDATE
I just took the whole mobo out of the case and fired it up on the anti-static bag to no avail.

Even with any number of ram sticks in there it won't beep or do anything.

I don't have a different gfx card to try but even if that was the problem it should still be able to beep or something shouldn't it?

So as far as i can tell i am screwed and need a new cpu/mobo

I may take it into memory express and see what they can figure out, just in case.

There is a problem! Never ever ever ever ever start up a mobo on an antistatic bag! EVER!

if you are going to start it up outside of the case you must do so on a non conductive surface. And yes it sound like you got a bad mobo before you tried it outside of the case though but for future reference don't ever do that it will kill a mobo sooo fast lol

DarKStar

To answer your question, if it was a graphic card issue you would hear beeps (long beep + 2 short beeps) or 1 long beep + 3 short beeps depending on your setup.

What motherboard brand / model is it ?

Did you handle it carefuly ? Static is a killer - you probably mishanled the board (breaking or shorting something) or you had static and touched the wrong area.
BTW, depending on your motherboard, you may have speech post reporter, so if that was a default you wouldn'T hear any beeps (that is usually on some older asus boards).

You said you cleared the CMOS, and assuming nothing is shorting or you haven't mishandled etc - then it looks like you have a dead board. While it's on and no display, try pressing RESET twice in a quick fashion - anything ? I've actually revived an old asus board this way -
DId you do anything unusual prior to removing the motherboard or BIOS flashing etc ?

As far as the antistatic bag I think he means the original bag that contains the motherboard - (transparant) and that one is non conductive although I would use a hard surace (that cardboard that comes in the box for example). The conductive ones are the shiny ones used for hard disks, graphic cards, etc. I know my asus boards all use the transparant bag.

Scart

Its an M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-fi Edition

I have assembled many computers and I didn't do anything different. I guess i did something accidentally. lame sauce

DarKStar

Its an M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-fi Edition

I have assembled many computers and I didn't do anything different. I guess i did something accidentally. lame sauce

Sine you purchased this board have you ever shut down your system at least once or was it on 24/7 ? Since when did you have this board (how old is it ?)
You are NOT the first person I hear this happening to on this motherboard (meaning the black screen of death) but in all the cases it was after a bad flash / bad eeprom.
You probably had a bad board all along and when you shut it down and back on it died. If it is the case you would have noticed it eventually - maybe it's a fluke.
I would be very upset if it happened to me - I'd rather get a DOA board from the start than discovering my board was bad after handling it some time after.
Unlike notebooks, you will have to RMA you board to the US, (the paperwork, the shipping, etc.) it's a shame that ASUS doesn'T offer the same support for Canadian customers as they do for their notebooks.

Latest posts