What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Far Cry 3 PC video stuttering.

Desiato

The 310.70 nvidia beta driver improved performance for my GTX460. It's supposed to provide better increases for newer cards.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I finally loaded the game.

From my quick analysis, it looks like there is an excess amount of frame buffering going on which throws dual card solutions into havoc. The issue is that with AFR, a certain amount of data for each frame needs to be buffered but FC3's draw calls space their buffering data in a non-linear fashion. This causes stuttering on a massive scale in SLI AND Crossfire.

rjbarker

Yeah I loaded this game up the other night...brings my Rig to its knees with everything cranked @ 2560 x 1440.......hhhmmmmm...latest nv Beta Driver, 980X @ 4.2 Ghz, 12Gb Dominators dual GTX 580 Classy Ultras. Solution was to turn off MSAA altogether and then seem to get 50 - 65 FPS.
Going with SOAA (think thats what it is called ?).
Anyhow, reminds of when I played Witcher 2, with Super Sampling "on" it was barely playable with FPS frequently dipping to 30 35 FPS, played that title with Super Sampling off.
Disappointed to say that least that a game could bring my set-up to its knees so easily. Anyhow, busy with some other games, hopefully future Drivers will help, if not I gues I have to do some research to see what the optimal settings should be....(shvt, new Processor, Mobo, RAM and Dual 680's already?!)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Also remeber this is a "Gaming Evolved" title which means AMD will have drivers with great support while NVIDIA may be a few weeks behind.

great_big_abyss

Anyhow, reminds of when I played Witcher 2, with Super Sampling "on" it was barely playable with FPS frequently dipping to 30 35 FPS, played that title with Super Sampling off.

What? 30-35fps 'barely playable'? Wow, those are some high standards you have there, mister.

rjbarker

Personally, anything under 40-45 fps gives me headaches after 5 minutes, so unplayable - it is.
^^^ Yeah exactly, especially sitting 2 feet from a 27" monitor, 30 35 FPS just plain sucks and I find it does make my eyes go bonkers. 60 FPS is the magic number for me. So Sky, this title was designed for the AMD platform? Didn't realize that.

And yes Sky nailed it....I'm always hoping to simply set 2560 x 1440, everything Maxed and play ;) Anything less and its like wtf...really??

Last edited:

rjbarker

Ok, so Post FX seems to be the big hit monster.....everything else cranked MSAA x2 w Post Effects set to Medium (or Low) I get about +20 FPS or so..steady 70 - 90 FPS vs 30 -50 FPS with Post FX at Very High (cant remember if there was an Ultra setting). Anyhow, alls good with FC3, set my 580 Classy Fan speeds to 45%, stock speeds 900 Mhz, both showing about 90% Utilization Max Temp 68c.

Latest posts

Twitter