What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Final review of my build before ordering!

Wein13

Ok, I'll try it out and let you all know how it goes.

Edit: I progressed a checkout to the point where it wants my credit card info, and have not seen anything about price-matching. Maybe it is for Canada only?

geokilla

Yes I was talking about that cooler. Also take a look at the Xigmatek version. It's more or less the same as the OCZ Vendetta 2.

I'd rather purchase a Corsair TX750 than go with the Xigmatek PSU.

Dwayne

I have an OCZ Vendetta 2 and I think it is great. I had it installed with push pins but replaced them with the 775 bolt through kit from Thermaltake Thermalright LGA775 BOLT-THRU Kit for for Ultra 90/120 & HR-01 Retail Box from Direct Canada and it was cheap. Got MX-2 for it as well... you will not be disappointed by the Vendetta 2 I think. I use the stock fan that came with it but some suggest replacing it with a 'better' fan, that is your call.

I went with the Corsair TX750 PSU for my setup. I think it should have no problem with Crossfired 4870s from what I read. Modular is nice... and always an option.

LCB001

Another vote for the Vendetta 2, even using the pushpins it keeps my quad @2.94 below 56*. For a good idea on hardware, check peoples Sigs. At least for the newer rigs you will see alot of Corsair PSU's or the PCP&P Quad 750 silencer, they are there for a reason...

Wein13

Ok, since the Corsair 750TX will run me $109.99, it looks like that's what I'll get :)

For RAM, I'm going to get a DDR2 800 4 GB set rather than the 1066 I was looking at. I'm looking at Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory or Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory , but I'm concerned about the heat spreaders on the OCZ stuff fitting into my case along with a CPU Fan and everything. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or can make a recommendation?

hybrid2d4x4

Good suggestions on here. I just wanted to cast a vote against the Zalman cooler in case that was still on your mind- the tower-style coolers are much more effective and Zalman has bad-quality fans (not quiet to begin with and the bearings wore out within 6 months and it was just grinding then). I personally would spend a few bucks more to get the current gen HDDs with 320-333GB/platter. Better density = more speed, fewer platters (less heat/noise). WD makes a 1 platter 320aaks.

Also, I checked my p5Q Pro box for extra SATA cables, and there were none, so it is confirmed that there are only 2 included- make sure to pick up an extra.

Wein13

I guess I'll fold to peer pressure and put the OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler into my system :)

FYI, I updated the build at the beginning to reflect my changes.

Twitter