What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Finally Time to take the Plunge!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hey all i thought id ask here as iv come to a point were its time to tame this i9 7980xe/10980xe if iever find one.

i was using the loop configurator on EKWB to get a general idea of things id need but thought id ask here.

i want a 420 Rad as it;ll fit the 3x140ml fan bracket ill put up top,
ill need a nice tall res, enough tubing fittings, cpu block, as i was told the monoblock i got with my apex will not fit delidded cpus,

would it be easier to just break down and buy the kit? and see if ek can change out the rad in on of the kits for a 420 rad?

cooling a 600w+ cpu on a Noctua NH-U12A was insane to think it'd work for so long. time to give this/these cpus the proper cooling they deserve,

im at the mercy of the community here lay it on me its time to do things right.

yeah time to cool this thing. thats 10 sec after starting cold from 24hrs of rest...

Attachments

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
still no word from EKWB on possibly configs, anyone have Exerpience with new loops, do's/Dont's ill start with a 420 for just the cpu, then if gpus in future warrant it duel 480's up top.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I think EK's kits are just all the parts thrown into the same "box", you can buy them separately.

Your screenshot of temps though, you still have some wildly out of control cores... I'm not sure watercooling will do much to solve those cores running at 93/82/88.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
once i nail down a proper kit im going to attempt the the acetone/99% isop, and get the lid off repaste with LM, didnt realize the cpu would draw 600+ watts when oced my poor Noctua has been fighting a losing battle,

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Found the issue not sure how to fix this without changin providers, i noticed these spikes only happen when my vpn is running in the Bg Windscribe or Blizzards battle.net app, i disabled those at start up and stopped usin battle.net the temps are normal back to 32c-50c idle and the difference between cores isnt as erratic talking like 1-4c difference.

still want to go full custom loop, ill call EK on next set off and ask them to put together what ill need for first loop, ill update worklog for beast build once get it.

Izerous

I wonder if the newer thermal grizly carbon pads might be the right approach between a monoblock and a de-lidded CPU? Not quite as good as paste but MUCH better than a typical thermal pad for larger gaps.

A dedicated CPU cooler instead of a monoblock might be better though. I have stayed away from EK over the years because I actually have been running ALU rads not copper and EK has had too many bad batches of nickel plating over the years and I wanted to avoid mixing direct contact copper to ALU, nickel in between them is just fine.

Tall res is not better than a small one. Makes bleeding easier and time from boot to thermal soak a bit longer but often a smaller one can be way more convenient to fit and requires less fluid overall.

Reactions: 10e

10e

Corsair 1000D is a pretty insane case, Shadow.

Dual 480mm will be more than enough for 600 watts unless you have super restrictive fan filters on that case or have it in a closet.

I used to cool dual R9 390x with a slightly OC'd i7 5960X with dual 360mm radiators, without things running loudly.

I'd probably avoid the EK kits, you can get better components for less money. I avoid their Vardar fans these days, I'm seeing a 25% problem rate on both 120 and 140mm Vardars.

I personally like Aqualis and Heatkiller glass tube reservoirs and Alphacool radiators. Bitspower fittings are usually the best, though Dazmode's Dark side fittings are a great value for the money.

I'd agree with Izerous that a huge reservoir is not required, though it may matter how aesthetics work out for you.

I also avoid nickel plated components, I stay with copper for water blocks now, as I've had too many bad results using certain liquids.

Your best places for advice are here and Dazmode site forums.

Izerous

Radiators are usually somewhere around 200W per 120mm fan making a 360 sufficient but might as well fit as big as you can to keep noise levels down etc. Not sure what the ~avg per 140mm is but I don't think it is much better since 140mm are usually not static pressure optimized compared to the 120mm options.

Latest posts

Twitter