What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

find the broken thing

bissa

I've been having my computer blue screen repeatedly over the past few days, and I'd pretty much determined that it was the video card memory that was causing it. so I ran a graphic card memory test to see if it was, and I got several thousand memory errors. but then my dad suggested that we switch cards, and see what happens. so I put my card in his computer, and his brand new (got it tuesday the week before last) video card in my computer. then we run the test again. I find thousands of memory errors on his card, and he finds no errors on my card. we both have the same OS, same drivers, and the same version of the program. what could be causing these errors?

I'm getting really frustrated since I just replaced my motherboard and CPU thinking that it might be the memory controller since with my old motherboard the same video card test was showing nothing, but the computer was blue screening on memory faults. memtest 86 ran 18 cycles, and found nothing wrong with my memory, so I don't think it's that.

KaptCrunch

stock clocks ? cpu, gpu

any software different from your dad's

are using same data cables ?

Last edited:

maverick_brent

how old is your psu? could it be dieing on you? perhaps put your fathers psu in your system and see what happens..

SeeThruHead

how old is your psu? could it be dieing on you? perhaps put your fathers psu in your system and see what happens..

This, At least its my first guess. All sorts of errors can occur from not getting the proper power to your components.

bissa

are there any other ways of testing the PSU without just changing everything out? I would need to spend about 2-4 hours taking my entire computer apart to replace the PSU, and if I don't need to do that, I would prefer it. I've had it for about 5 years now, so it could be going down hill.

I've tested his RAM in my computer and still got the same errors, I can't test my ram in his system because the heatsinks on it run into the CPU cooler.

EDIT: ok, so now that I switched his ram into my computer, tested, and put it back into his computer, he's now getting errors on the video card memory test.

Last edited:

maverick_brent

are there any other ways of testing the PSU without just changing everything out? I would need to spend about 2-4 hours taking my entire computer apart to replace the PSU, and if I don't need to do that, I would prefer it. I've had it for about 5 years now, so it could be going down hill.

I've tested his RAM in my computer and still got the same errors, I can't test my ram in his system because the heatsinks on it run into the CPU cooler.

EDIT: ok, so now that I switched his ram into my computer, tested, and put it back into his computer, he's now getting errors on the video card memory test.

just pull the psu from his pc and plug in the jmotherboard connectors pci-e connectors and any hd connectors needed. You dont have to physically remove your psu from your case, just pull his set it on the desk beside your tower plug it in and see if that corrects it.

KaptCrunch

in bios hardware moniter what voltages are shown PC Health Status and for ram in (M.I.T)

Dram voltage in Advance Memory Settings of mit

are you running F11 bios for Rev:1.3 of MB

Attachments

• ahrrrrr.JPG
    ahrrrrr.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

bissa

in bios hardware moniter what voltages are shown PC Health Status and for ram in (M.I.T)

Dram voltage in Advance Memory Settings of mit

are you running F11 bios for Rev:1.3 of MB

Oh yeah, I need to update that. I'm running the Asus Z87-expert with the 4670K now.

Latest posts