What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First build in a while - opinions on what to reuse and suggestions for new parts

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Oh man...I remember that case!

If you do end up ditching the case, please DM me to talk business. It would be great to set something up to get it into another deserving members hands, perhaps via another contest :)

FreeKnight

Oh man...I remember that case!

If you do end up ditching the case, please DM me to talk business. It would be great to set something up to get it into another deserving members hands, perhaps via another contest :)
It's definitely not my style of case, but MNPC did a great job on it and the paint job looks like it'd be at home on an automotive project, very above the standard of your usual PC custom paint.

thorn

Based on the feedback you guys have provided and some further reading/watching on my end I'm looking at this so far:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - RTX 3060 Ti (told the gf the friendly folks on the internet helped reduce the budget, she said now I have more to spend on her 😅 )
Memory - 2x8 DDR4-3600 CL16. From everything I have read 16GB is plenty for gaming and I don't do enough content creation to justify going to 32. I can always add another pair of 8's anyway.
PSU - 650W 80+ Gold (will refer to the PSU tier list posted earlier)

Case - right now I'm looking at either the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance, be quiet! 500DX white or Phanteks P400A Digital white. Depending on when I actually pull the trigger I'll need to see if anything new that came out would be a better choice.

CPU cooling - Could use some suggestions here. An obvious choice would be Noctua but I would like to stick with the black/white theme and the chromax versions of their coolers are a) difficult to find b) have a huge price premium. I am leaning more towards air, but I am open to going AIO. I'd like to keep it under 150 CAD. If it's something that is normally over 150 but goes on sale from time to time below 150 that counts as well!

MoBo - At this point, aside from having the necessary USB 3 header for the case front panel not really picky here (aside from the colour scheme). Will go with draemn's suggestion of B550 under 220$.

It's stating to take shape! in my head at least...

FreeKnight

Based on the feedback you guys have provided and some further reading/watching on my end I'm looking at this so far:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - RTX 3060 Ti (told the gf the friendly folks on the internet helped reduce the budget, she said now I have more to spend on her 😅 )
Memory - 2x8 DDR4-3600 CL16. From everything I have read 16GB is plenty for gaming and I don't do enough content creation to justify going to 32. I can always add another pair of 8's anyway.
PSU - 650W 80+ Gold (will refer to the PSU tier list posted earlier)

Case - right now I'm looking at either the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance, be quiet! 500DX white or Phanteks P400A Digital white. Depending on when I actually pull the trigger I'll need to see if anything new that came out would be a better choice.

CPU cooling - Could use some suggestions here. An obvious choice would be Noctua but I would like to stick with the black/white theme and the chromax versions of their coolers are a) difficult to find b) have a huge price premium. I am leaning more towards air, but I am open to going AIO. I'd like to keep it under 150 CAD. If it's something that is normally over 150 but goes on sale from time to time below 150 that counts as well!

MoBo - At this point, aside from having the necessary USB 3 header for the case front panel not really picky here (aside from the colour scheme). Will go with draemn's suggestion of B550 under 220$.

It's stating to take shape! in my head at least...
If you're having trouble finding a cooler, Phanteks has a knock off of the Noctua that comes in black called the PH-14 or something like that. Performance is basically the same. I think be quiet! has a similar model called the dark rock or something like that.

If you can't find the Noctua chromax they may be easier to chase down.

I'd lean to more RAM myself, but if it's really mostly gaming you're fine, and like you said you can always add more later.

sswilson

Staff member
From a pure performance perspective, you'll probably have a hard time finding a set of dual rank 2X8GB memory these days (I was surprised to find that your current set is DR). Not an absolute game changer, but it's why I went with 32 vice 16GB (and ended up returning the first set of sticks I got, but that's a different story).

thorn

If you're having trouble finding a cooler, Phanteks has a knock off of the Noctua that comes in black called the PH-14 or something like that. Performance is basically the same. I think be quiet! has a similar model called the dark rock or something like that.

The be quiet Dark Rock is on my radar, I'll look into the Phanteks one. Thanks FreeKnight

From a pure performance perspective, you'll probably have a hard time finding a set of dual rank 2X8GB memory these days (I was surprised to find that your current set is DR). Not an absolute game changer, but it's why I went with 32 vice 16GB (and ended up returning the first set of sticks I got, but that's a different story).

I remembered reading that there was a benefit to DR vs. SR for Ryzen but didn't think it was of much significance. But it does seem, depending on how CPU bound you are, that you can get 2 - 8% more performance. The price of RAM will help me make this decision when the time comes, hopefully. Thanks for bringing it up sswilson.

Bond007

Based on the last few posts I think you have very solid choices and information. Bang for buck PSU choices right now are, IMO, seasonic focus plus gold or Corsair RMx. There are other solid picks, but those seem to be consistently the best performance per $. Personally I would bit the bullet and get 2x16gb ram right away, but your reasoning is sound if you don’t want to go for that right off the bat.

thorn

Found this article "Ryzen 5000 Memory Performance Guide" https://www.techspot.com/amp/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/ which I found interesting since it not only used a 3090 but also a 2070 super. While the 3060 Ti marginally outperforms a 2080 super, I figure the 2070 super is closer than the 3090. I think plan A will be 2x8 DDR4-3600 CL16 and, plan B if there happens to be a great deal on 2x16 or 2x 2x8 I'll splurge and go for the dual rank.

I never would have thought that memory would be one of the more difficult choices 😅

Bang for buck PSU choices right now are, IMO, seasonic focus plus or Corsair RMx.

I feel like seasonic has always been a solid choice. For as long as I can remember they have been well regarded.

Last edited: