What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First Intel-based Mac Pro???

jalmir

JD

Staff member
Free? I think we basically throw those models out at work. I'd say it's worth whatever it's weight is in aluminum.

That being said, Amazon US seems to have listings from $220-450.

jalmir

Free? I think we basically throw those models out at work. I'd say it's worth whatever it's weight is in aluminum.

shit, seriously??? that's good to know! lol

Arinoth

Staff member

For a system/architecture that's 7-8+ years old, yeah I would say the most expensive valuable item in it would be the aluminum.

Desiato

The main concern is OS support. If it still runs a supported version of OSX, it can surely be sold on kijiji for at least $200-300 IMO.

Bond007

Because it's mac I would say there are people that will pay $200+. I don't think I would pay more than $50 for those parts...very outdated.

FreeKnight

Surely there's needy hipsters that could you could donate those old macs to JD, or at least trade for some very expensive 'cheap looking' skinny jeans?

MacJunky

The main concern is OS support. If it still runs a supported version of OSX, it can surely be sold on kijiji for at least $200-300 IMO.

This is a very good point, and as things happen this particular model cannot run anything newer than 10.7 IIRC...(we are up to 10.10 I think?) unless you "hackintosh" it. But at that point OP is putting way too much effort in unless he really needs to run old software.

Also those early Mac Pros took DDR2 FB-DIMMs so unless it is coming to you decked out, you will spend a lot on RAM afaik.