What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First NAS/Plex Server, a couple questions

crazyea

The fact that you have the shield tv pro makes this whole process a lot easier for you for sure. I'd look at something with quicksync like the 720+/920+ and a minimum of 4 bays, but that's a bigger investment.

JD

Staff member
ASUStor usually offers the best value for for the price, but I haven't used them personally. I'd think it's similar to QNAP and Synology though.

I would agree and say get a 4 bay at the bare minimum. It sucks having to replace the whole unit when you decide you need more storage.

FreeKnight

I'm not sure a 4 bay is worth the price investment for me. I don't even come close to maxing out 1 of my drives, let alone my current 2 drives and would have no problem erasing some content down the road if necessary (since I don't need to store dozens of shows for kids, etc). Unless there's an additional benefit to to 4 I'm unaware of (ignoring RAID, because I have separate onedrive and dropbox backups of anything I can't risk losing)

Solace

If you have low requirements you also could just setup an Android TV box as a plex server. 50$ quad core chip, streams 1-2 clients with ease. Limited expansion however much more cost efficient. I have one setup as a NAS to replace my old gaming tower that was used for watching things on TV. Torrents to a USB SSD/SD card, FTP, SNMB, DLNA all accessible. If its a single 4k stream it should be perfectly fine, I've yet to bench multiple.

I use a Tanix 5x plus model which packs a amlogic S905X3 processor. I used a few tweaks to keep the cpu clocked to max (You may need a small heatsink or fan depending on ambient temps for the CPU). However if you need a full blown raid setup or resources for various other reasons then a compact mini atx or medium tower would probably suit your needs.

Prebuilt NAS are generally overpriced for what they do

JD

Staff member
I would probably suggest more like a Raspberry Pi or similar sort of "development board" over an Android TV box, same concept though, and you'd be running full Linux at least.

A 2-bay NAS may seem costly for what it is, but to buy or build a PC would end up being same or more.

Cypher^64

1) If you have the SSD you should use it, even though it's mostly for high I/O as stated, I personally like it it for caching network file transfers. I can take some of the load off the spinners and decrease buffering in plex during transfers. Later you may decide to put a Bittorrent program or something like Sabnzbd/Sonarr/Radarr and these could make nice use of the ssd, especially in unpacking.
As per the comment about sab/radarr/sonarr, if you are downloading won’t the zipped file be stored and unpacked on the array and not on the nas’s internal storage? If so, then the cache drive wouldn’t be used would it?
I just ordered a Synology 1821+ and 32gb ram (read unused ram is used for caching) for it as I no longer want a full server. So don’t have any experience with modern nas devices

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
personally i built a amd plex server since i found my old qnap 469 pro was chiggin at 4K Streaming in house to a point i had bought a external drive id plug into the back of shield to play that content.

now the new server works very nicely and i have a free pcie for when gpus come back from extinction.

CS381 this is my next upgrade once i await the next gen or i may just use my case and make itx server inside that on bottom.

crazyea

As per the comment about sab/radarr/sonarr, if you are downloading won’t the zipped file be stored and unpacked on the array and not on the nas’s internal storage? If so, then the cache drive wouldn’t be used would it?
I just ordered a Synology 1821+ and 32gb ram (read unused ram is used for caching) for it as I no longer want a full server. So don’t have any experience with modern nas devices
I moved off of synology a long time ago and am using unraid these days. I'm not sure if you can set these programs to use cache, but I do know on unraid cache is highly recommended for downloading and writing directly to the array is frowned upon.

rjbarker

Great thread as Im looking at Synology 720+ for running Plex thru my Network....there are some great youtube "set up videos" .....yeah I need em as Networking is not my forte.......plug everything...a bunch of clicking and hope I stumble onto everything working...I'm planning on plugging the 720+ into my Asus XT8 Main Node (3 Node Mesh)..

clshades

So much effort when a Chromecast ultra runs Plex perfectly fine.

-Need a computer that supports HEVC
-video card that supports your needs and Plex
-Decently fast spin point drive
-Chromecast plugged into your reciever (wired is better)

Done deal.

I just run Plex off my main rig and shut it all down when I'm done. Easy peasy. NAS is a complete waste of money / overkill. IMO.