What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First Time Computer Builder Looking for Help on $1500 Rig

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
And as I typed the question, 3.0charlie answered it. Apparently, I could get a cheaper motherboard and free up funds for a BluRay drive :)
Remember, this is only to give you a rough idea of the parts you can buy for that budget; I didn't look for better prices, nor for other similar - less costly - parts.

Wein13

I guess when it comes down to it, I have a pretty good idea of what I want as far as components. I've never built my computer before though, so I really have no idea what good brands are for most things, as well as how to estimate how large of a power supply I'll need. If anyone has any advice pertaining to these areas, I would welcome it.

And thank you for all of the advice and builds so far :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
If you wish to eventually upgrade to a dual 4870 setup, then the PSU I proposed (the TX750W) is the strict minimum. Remember that you'll be using a Quad too and triple HDDs.

Computer building is a relatively simple process.

Install CPU in socket.
Install HSF.
Locate board inside case
Install PSU
Install ram
Install Video card
Install HDDs
Install DVD player
Connect front panel headers.
Connect all electrical leads (board x2, video card x2, HDDs, DVD, fans)
Connect all Data leads (HDDs, DVD).

Power up
Install Windows
Install board drivers
Perform Windows update.

That's it.

cwestwell

Ahhh I forgot you said you were in the US well that is all the better you have access to Newegg which is pretty handy. And I would not worry about prejudice because you live in the US on HWC they are a pretty friendly and helpful (Stereotypical Canadian) forum group from what I have expeienced so far. TELL YOUR FRIENDS oh and here is a newegg build but it looks like NCIXUS is cheaper

Antec Nine Hundred $139.99
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $149.98($74.99 each) WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $ 64.99
VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 512MB $260.00
SILVERSTONE OP650 650W $139.99
mushkin XP 4GB ASCENT $139.99
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 $ 139.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 $324.99
OCZ OCZTVEND2 120mm $44.99 LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R $139.99

Subtotal: $1,544.90

Last edited:

Wein13

Thanks, 3.0charlie. From what I've heard and read, assembly is a fairly straightforward process - if it doesn't fit, it doesn't belong there. If worst comes to worst with assembly, I can give my friend who build his own computer $20 to help me out. Given what I want in this computer, what connectors will my PSU need to have? Or can I get splitters and such to accommodate the possibility of more HDDs and the 2nd video card in the future?

cwestwell, you are indeed correct. I got fast responses, and you've all been quite helpful. I'll take everything I've read here and put together a build list of my own, then post it up one final time before I order to make sure I didn't miss anything.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The PC Power & Cooling 750 has all the connectors you will need for a dual 4870 card system. I have the same PSU and case. Your issue will be hiding the extra cables.

encorp

OHOHOHOOHOHOHOHOHO LINUS!!! /swoon /pant /drool

Ahahaha

Latest posts