What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

FIXED: Power-saving almost non existent? i7-4820k OC

draemn

So, I have this over-clock that I've used for quite a long time and the power saving states are all turned on, but I recently was paying attention to it again (mostly because it's getting damn hot in here). I don't see the frequency dropping by any significant amount when the computer is under light load. I'm pretty sure that when I made this oc profile I used to see some very significant drops, where as now, it never drops any significant amount as long as there is some CPU useage. I'm seeing it maybe drop to 3.8 GHz when I'm sitting idle with the web browser open (not even scrolling the page) in task manager. In other programs I'm seeing a flat 4.2 GHz the entire time.

I just went in and checked the intel power states are all on and I tried changing "sync all cores" to "by core" and didn't find any difference.

Edit: windows power settings was the problem. I set the plan to balanced and I'm all good now.

Last edited:

draemn

hardware monitor doesn't show individual core speeds?
I downloaded a newer version of OCCT and it displays all cores. CPU-Z is not displaying all cores. Windows built in monitoring programs do not display all cores. I am going to reboot and try changing bios again to sync all cores.

Edit: still no change, OCCT reports all cores running at 4.2 GHz and task manager is floating between 3.8-4.2 GHz (most around 4)

Last edited:

draemn

Well, I kind of fixed it... I went into power options (windows 10) and it was set to "power saver" and I changed it to "balanced"... must have been some weird issue with windows 10 after upgrading from 7?

clshades

I downloaded a newer version of OCCT and it displays all cores. CPU-Z is not displaying all cores. Windows built in monitoring programs do not display all cores. I am going to reboot and try changing bios again to sync all cores.

Edit: still no change, OCCT reports all cores running at 4.2 GHz and task manager is floating between 3.8-4.2 GHz (most around 4)
Windows does show all cores but you need to click the extra link at the bottom.
Click the performance tab in task manager and then click Open Resource Monitor at the bottom.

HWM is showing all the cores just not all the threads.

draemn

I had hyperthreading disabled for that screenshot of HWmon. I tried resource monitor and it still only shows 1 core hmmm?

clshades

showing all mine. did you click the CPU tab? There's: overview, cpu , memory, disk, and network tabs.

Attachments

• cpu cores.jpg
    cpu cores.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 2

Lysrin

You can also see all core percent utilization in Task Manager by selecting Performance -> CPU (as @clshades said) then right click on the graph and select "Logical processors" as in the screenshot below:

1590767372441.png

Resource Monitor shows more info for sure, but this view in Task Manager gives you a quick look.

draemn

You can also see all core percent utilization in Task Manager by selecting Performance -> CPU (as @clshades said) then right click on the graph and select "Logical processors" as in the screenshot below:

Resource Monitor shows more info for sure, but this view in Task Manager gives you a quick look.
That's a nice little tip, didn't know i could change the graphs in that tab.

Latest posts