What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

fixing QLC issues!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hi all just got my hands on a Intel 660p 512gb QLC nvme drive and did some quick tests to see the drop off in speed everyone talks about and they weren't lying speed started at 1200mbs-1300mbs then dropped to 313mbs or lower as hd tune ran. did this 8 times to get a average in time before speed dropped off and speed before after the drop.

I loaded up primo cache gave it 1gb of ram and a 120gb samsung 840 pro as L2 cache. the results were surprising I thought that software was basicly snake oil like Killer Nics.

after testing with just a mere 1gb or ram and a small ssd the speed was 1300mbs then cache on drive filled after bout 5 Seconds. after that primo cache took over and here's what I seen.

started test 1300mbs 5s in then stayed a steady 1100-1250 rest of the test. going to try as ssd soon as my parts come in for new build will repost with solid numbers and pics! I think I found a way to negate the negitive side of QLC!

Izerous

Folding Team
In defence of killer nics when i first bought one it did actually help that specific computer. When I replaced it with newer hardware years later it wasn't helping anymore...

To go back to bashing killer nics
The problem was the gains were so small the only way to detect them was the the logged data. Kinda like jumping from 10,000 to 10,100 in a benchmark. Yes there was a difference but you would never notice as a human being.

You must have a thoery about how to improve QLC though if your waiting on parts. Do you think it is something as simple as thermals or far more complicated than that or strictly using to expand cache now?

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah I noticed slight increase when I bought the first one with the huge K heatsink. then tried bring it to other systems throughout the yearsjt was worse then onboard nics. that nic cost me a crazy $400.

Bond007

Very interesting. I honestly haven't heard of doing this, but your initial results are promising. If you have everything you need laying around to do this at zero cost it is a great idea. Otherwise I still think you are better off spending a bit more on even a budget tlc drive.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
oh yeah if you have a choice get a regular even budget MLC/TLC drive these aren't cost effective as I thought they'd be. but I was curious to see if I could mitigate the cache drop off. and it works with that one piece of software. now I wanna get my hands on that H10-H15 Intel qlc/optane see if I can do same but super charge it with ram.

Latest posts

Twitter