What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Flash drive with write protection?

stlouis1

does anyone know of any usb3 flash drives with write protection on them?

I have a multiboot key that i made that i keep accidentally formatted for one reason or another.

it's kind of annoying, so i'm looking for a 32-64gb key with a write protect switch to save myself the hassle of retransferring everything to the usb key everytime i wipe it by mistake

does anyone know of any? it doesn't seem to be a feature that's really advertised from what i can see

ilya

Not sure how it works with OSX, but write protection can be done on the file system level in Windows via NTFS. There's also software out there that will write protect a drive if you have to use another filesystem.

frontier204

Would a (not micro) SD card + reader combo work for you? You could just write whatever you need and then use the little lock switch on the SD card.
I've booted off them in the past - just have to make sure the computer sees the reader as a USB drive and not some special card, e.g. Linux assigns it a /dev/sdX rather than /dev/mmcblkX.

sswilson

Staff member
Last edited:

stlouis1

Not sure how it works with OSX, but write protection can be done on the file system level in Windows via NTFS. There's also software out there that will write protect a drive if you have to use another filesystem.

software level won't help me in this case. I'm not trying to lock files, I need to lock the hole drive into read-only at a hardware level so that if I boot from a live OS whether WinPE or linux, etc, I can't wipe the partition on the drive

A USB card ready could work, but it seems like a backwards way of doing things. I dunno, I'm really picky when it comes to getting what I want. It's 2013, we have the technology, but it seems there's always a compromise

and as mentioned, finding newer, large capacity keys with hardware locks is near impossible, finding a drive with encryption is no problem on the other hand, but I don't want encryption for a multiboot key

stlouis1

it's not just for OS installed, I have lots of diag and other troubleshooting tools in there, MS's recovery tools for different versions of windows in both x86 and x64, plus my own custom PE environment, again, both x86 and x64

and the OS install files includes all editions of XP, Vista, 7,8, server 2008, 2008 r2, and server 2012, they take up a lot of space :shok:

then there's the good collection of drivers too

stlouis1

its because i have some batch scripted OS installers in for windows in my custom winpe. the reason it's setup that way is because i have multiple editions of windows and versions of windows. i could have copied individual setup folders, but by using batch files, diskpart scripts and dism to apply unattended configurations, i was able to bypass the setup process, and combine the wim images to reduce the amount of diskpage.

so for example, windows 7 and server 2008 are combined into a single wim, same with windows 8 and server 2012. combining the rims cut down the disk cost by about 9gb

now because i did it this way, if there's no driver loaded to recognize the hard drive in the machine, when the diskpart script runs and cleans disk 0, well oops, there goes my usb

if my coding skills weren't limit to batch files, i would have happily made something better, that can check if there's an actual hard drive, but i'm no code junky.

so the next best thing is to get a drive with a write protect switch.

so far it seems the Kanguru SS3 is the only one i can find, and it's a little rich for my blood at 120$ almost for a 64gb

Latest posts