What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folders, we have a challenge.

Xeven

Sounds excellent gentlemen! Lots of PPD on the way then!

PS: My main rig ([email protected], and two 460s) hit a major snag this week (80% sure my Vertex ssd is crapping out). For the next few days I'll be mainly folding on the folding rig only ([email protected], and a 470).

I put in a new ssd (Vertex 2EX), but I need to prime95 the crap out of this thing so that I don't mess up any more SMP units (thus holding back the [email protected] project, and possibly disqualifying my smp bonus...which should not be possible, but just in case).

So yeah...I feel the PPD ache too...
How about adding a small (and cheap) HDD for storage or if that's not possible a small but decent USB stick and put your folding stuff in there. Sure, the USB stick will crap out sooner or later but it only costs $10 bucks.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I'd be surprised if the folding app crapped his ssd. [email protected] is installed on my Falcon, and take a look at the Work Time hours and the total amount of reads / writes (in GB). Still @ 98% today.

Chilly

Did you kill your drive life by having the folding clients on it? My Vertex is down to 30% life, and my page file and all temporary files were on a separate HDD. It was the constant VM usage and writing that used up my write cycles, I believe.

I have since relocated my folding clients to a HDD, and will continue that practice. I don't want to toast another $200 SSD.
Everything is on my SSD, folding+temp files+pagefile+hibernate file, and etc. Why you ask? Because SSD's CAN TAKE IT, and it does improve the overall system performance. Your welcome to be paranoid, but by the time anything you moved off your SSD will kill it, it will be LONG obsolite. Hell, I do alot of work with VM instances on the SSD too, and it seems to be fine.

Anyways, heres the health of my SSD despite having everything use my SSD hard.

ssd.PNG
ssd2.PNG

All my point is, I doubt it was the Folding that killed it, take a deeper look at your system and try and figure it out, because my SSD is fine despite crazy usage. Did you bench on it alot? Canned benchmarks can work an SSD VERY HARD, much harder than any daily use and default "high usage" features, which you say you disabled, on the SSD and kill it very quickly

SugarJ

Staff member
I don't bench at all. I'll be doing some more digging tonight, and will post my SSDlife results. But like I said, I was running a VM off it for months before I thought to check it.

_dangtx_

Banned
last i checked they dont go that fast unless there is a problem with the drive/batch/line

badatcards

Their still gaining :sad:. Just a reminder to everyone that we have to stay 10-20+ million points in front of TPU so that way when it comes time for the Chimp Challenge this May 5th we dont get passed while we fold for NCIX +HWC = Team Canada and Friends:canadianwave:Way To Fold. Rumor has it the rules may change this year, So the larger lead we have on them the better. Keep it up everyone:thumb:

Twitter