What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding @ Home F.A.Q.

Patriote

Yes, the client will download WUs (Work units), once you're done it will upload the results to standford, give you some points and than download another WU.

Join in patriote, you know you want to :)
And that needs to be ran 24\7 or you choose when to launch the app ? And i guess it stress your hardware a lot ?

SHaCK

And that needs to be ran 24\7 or you choose when to launch the app ? And i guess it stress your hardware a lot ?
You can close/run it whenever you want and yes 100% load on the CPU. The client is optimized to use idle cycles of your comp only so all the processing power of your CPU is puted to good use.

I have it running almost 24/7 on my everyday rig, even when gaming it's still running. (but not really folding).

Scratch

You can close/run it whenever you want and yes 100% load on the CPU. The client is optimized to use idle cycles of your comp only so all the processing power of your CPU is puted to good use.

I have it running almost 24/7 on my everyday rig, even when gaming it's still running. (but not really folding).
I use task manager to set the client to low priority when playing games as MMORG's are system resource pigs and the client will create lag as it will continue trying to fold if kept at normal

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, I've read through the faq both here and at the [email protected] website and I'm still clueless..... :)

According to the website if I want to run the gpu client on a single card setup I need to set the -gpu 0 flag.

How the hell do I do that?

I'm guessing that it's done through the properties, but it seems to me that `98 had a separate line for what you wanted the command to actually be....

Any ideas out there? Or should I run the config program listed on the first page? (I thought it was only for the cpu client).

Supergrover

Ok, I've read through the faq both here and at the [email protected] website and I'm still clueless..... :)

According to the website if I want to run the gpu client on a single card setup I need to set the -gpu 0 flag.

I'm guessing that it's done through the properties, but it seems to me that `98 had a separate line for what you wanted the command to actually be....

Any ideas out there? Or should I run the config program listed on the first page? (I thought it was only for the cpu client).
I never have ran the GPU client, but for the console client all I do is create a shortcut to the exe. then add the flag you want to use to the target.
[email protected] shortcut-properties-target then save start your client from the shortcut.

pscout

Fallen Folder

The gpu client runs best as a desktop (text only) console (ok there is a gui client but don't waste your time ... and other people's time helping you when you have problems with it)

The way to add switches to a desktop client (gpu client, standard single core client or win smp client) is to put the switches at the end of the target string in a shortcut to the exe. You need to leave 1 space between the end of trhe target string and the first swtich.

here is an example of a target string in the shortcut to one of my single core folding instances:

Code:
"D:\[email protected] 1\FAH502-Console-1.exe" -local -forceasm -verbosity 9
I haven't run the gpu client in a while, but i am pretty sure if you only run 1 gpu, you don't even need the -gpu 0 switch since it should default to that.

sswilson

Staff member
It seems to be working for me now without the switch. (I've done a complete re-load so it was probably the messed up mobo drivers that was giving me the early end units).

Is there a difference in the production of the gui version vrs the console version if the gui isn't open? (having the display open makes a huge difference to the temps so it obviously isn't working as hard).

If there is, I'll set this WU to pause when finished and then install the console vers.

pscout

Fallen Folder
It seems to be working for me now without the switch. (I've done a complete re-load so it was probably the messed up mobo drivers that was giving me the early end units).

Is there a difference in the production of the gui version vrs the console version if the gui isn't open? (having the display open makes a huge difference to the temps so it obviously isn't working as hard).

If there is, I'll set this WU to pause when finished and then install the console vers.
In general, the main problem with all the windows gui versions is that it is based on open g/l, and from what i understand, windows does a poor job of letting multiple open gl apps coexist peacefully. It works for some people ok but most run into problems with it. I stopped using it within a month of starting into folding.

The second issue with the gui version is more pronounced with the gpu client. It wastes cycles drwing the protein. In the case of the gpu client, this of course competes directly with the gpu client ... so running it will add more load to your gpu and more heat, and also slow down the folding performance.

There is a good monitoring tool called EMIII which many people use to monitor their standard clients. It has an option to draw the protein being folded and costs a lot less to run. Unfortunately the developer has not added any support to it for the gpu cleint, nor any of the new smp clients.

There is another monitoring tool called FahMon which is now supported by one of the mods at forum.folding-community.org and has support for all the clients ... it doesn't draw the proteins tho. It is not as feature rich as emiii but is easy to use and setup.

I used to use both, but since most of my clients are smp now, i only run fahmon. It has just about everything i need.
You can get it at fahmon.silent-blade.org

If you look at the top of the page on forum.folding-comminity.org at the far right there is a link to tools which takes you to a great thread with more tools listed than you will ever want!

I tried to post a link to it but couln't figure out how :eek:

Fold on!

Pete

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter