What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding @ Home F.A.Q.

pscout

Fallen Folder
There will also be some delays before it shows up on the other stats sites.

Stanford is the official source, and they have recently started to update their stats server hourly - it used to be more often but they were having capacity problems when the ps3 folding client came out and took off like gangbusters.

The other sites are fed from stanford every 3 hours when everything is working ok.

So depending on how fast the stats get from the work server at stanford, to the stats servers, you could see a 3-6 hour delay on the other sites.

pscout

Fallen Folder
yes. Although I am a little out of touch with the current projects for the single core client - I run almost exclusively SMP projects since all my farm rigs are dual or quad core.

did you configure your client for bigpackets, and advanced methods? That will usually give you the best points production ... some of the projects have bonus points because of the amount of memory they use, or the amount of bandwidth to download them and upload results.

There is a database of performance results - some folders post their results there. fahinfo.org Folding @ Home PPD Database

If you look in your fahlog.txt file it will show you the project number ... it may also be visible in the console window depending on how many lines you configure the window for in windows.

Here is what it looks like
Code:
[21:23:27] 
[21:23:27] Project: 2604 (Run 0, Clone 534, Gen 43)
[21:23:27]
Every public project is listed here Folding@Home
you gan get this and other interesting info from the stats link on the stanford folding page - folding.stanford.edu

There is a simple monitoring tool called FahMon FahMon Homepage
It will automatically download the psummary page and give you the info on your current wu as well a calculate an eta and ppd (points per day). It will also keep the data in a simple most recent benchmark database. If you fold on more than 1 rig, it can monitor all your rigs via a file share.

Lots to learn, but if you have any questions fire away.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
main rig was out of action for a couple of days, but I still managed to finish the WU on time.

I'm now getting 10 min / % folding 2609. :)

pscout

Fallen Folder
main rig was out of action for a couple of days, but I still managed to finish the WU on time.

I'm now getting 10 min / % folding 2609. :)

Nice tpf :biggrin:

You must be folding >= ~ 3.6 ghz with a 4 MB cache cpu?

Is that your new dfi mobo?

sswilson

Staff member
Nice tpf :biggrin:

You must be folding >= ~ 3.6 ghz with a 4 MB cache cpu?

Is that your new dfi mobo?

Yeah it's a E6420 @ 3.4 on my new DFI board. :)

Right. You both just lost me...

Is it normal to have a 20000 frames WU?

Each project has different specs so it's normal to have different frame #s ranging from 400 on up. You'll also run into ones that have the same # of frames, yet don't take the same "Time Per Frame" (tpf) because of a different workload required.

Latest posts