What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding @ Home New Users Guide - V7 Client

great_big_abyss

This guide is for people completely unfamiliar with Folding at Home and will guide you through the installation of V7 Folding Client. V7 is by far the simplest FAH client, and in most cases you can just 'set it and forget it'.

To familiarize yourself with FAH and what it is, read:
Intro to folding
FAH Windows Install Guide

1) Download and install V7 client from Stanford FAH Homepage

FAH1_zps471b9c43.jpg

2) Click 'Next, I Agree, Next' until you see the following screen:

FAHMenu_zps573dd5a8.jpg

3) Under "Donor" Enter your Folding Name. To See if your chosen name is available, Click Here.

4) Under "Team" enter 54196 (Hardware Canucks Folding Team)

5) Visit FAH - Passkey. Copy and Paste the Passkey from your inbox into the 'Passkey' box.

6) If you have a discrete GPU as well as a CPU, select "GPU and SMP". If you only have a dual core or better CPU, select 'SMP'.

7) Click 'Install'.

The V7 client should install itself and configure the SMP and GPU clients automatically. Voila, you are now folding.

hc_fah_logo72w.png

If you would like a FAH HWC tag , Post in this thread

To check your FAH Stats, visit www.extremeoverclocking.com - Folding Stats and input your FAH user name.

Enjoy, and Have Fun!

I'll add basic use of the V7 client over the next few days as I get time.

Last edited:

great_big_abyss

It automatically sets up when you install the client...so I'm not sure what you mean.

Show me what you mean, and I'll fix it.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Nope, g_b_a has it right. The V7 client automatically configures itself for SMP and GPU folding. For anyone with less than 16 logical cores, this is the way to go.

Edit: and you appear to be missing some images?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
They don't for me, that's why I mentioned it. Where are you hosting them?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Good work. Great start to the folding season gba! Stuck. I'll add to the folding intro thread as well.

Shadowmeph

I have this running on my main PC which is AMD 1100T be watercooled CPU I am not sure what the safe temperatures are for my CPU because I was onlinegaming playing Path to exile with this running in the back ground ( CPU folding) and my temperature was 69c which I think is hot for this cpu . I ended up pausing folding but is this a safe temperature for this cpu and if not how do I turn of some cores ?

great_big_abyss

Seems warm to me. My 1055 holds steady at 53-54C under full load.

When gaming, the folding application should automatically dial back so that it only uses the unused cycles of your cpu.

It seems to me like you have a problem with your CPU cooling, or too high of an overclock. What is your OC, and what is your cooler?

I had to dial my 1055T back from 4.0Ghz to 3.8Ghz and reduce the voltage so that It would have a safe 'every day' temperature. My CPU runs at full load 100% of the time.