What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

folding@home thread. Updated as necessary - _dangtx_

bwm

Cooling, of course its important, BUT, despite what anyone tells you, there is a point beyond which the voltage WILL (in relatively short order) cause a failure despite the temperature. That is often called the Vcc knee temp , or temperature knee, the point at which temperature increases and decreases cease having a relatively linear and proportional change with voltage changes. It is wise to never push the device to within 10 or 15 percent of those upper and lower temp limits when the device itself is not in a temp controlled environment.

Zero82z

Banned
I haven't seen a case with my own eyes to date where that was even a factor. It had no effect at all on any of my three.
Well, raising the memory voltage certainly wouldn't have an effect on shader clocks either. The memory is completely independent from the shader frequency.

bwm

Well, raising the memory voltage certainly wouldn't have an effect on shader clocks either. The memory is completely independent from the shader frequency.
Correct. They are not directly associated.

I meant the shader voltage and its relationship to the shader frequency limits. If I said otherwise then I apologise.

Zero82z

Banned
Correct. They are not directly associated.

I meant the shader voltage and its relationship to the shader frequency limits. If I said otherwise then I apologise.
Dan was talking about shader speeds, and then you started talking about memory voltages, so you had me confused...

bwm

Well, I guess both of us should slow down a bit, ok with you? It'd sure help this old fart too
icon7.gif

_dangtx_

Banned
bm im telling you if your health permits you and c come around ill show you the city.

bwm

yep, my 216 55nm is doing 1512 at stock volts right now :D
That's very very close to the top end limit I get on one other of my three cards. It'll seemingly run forever at 1510 but certain work units cause screen corruption/tearing at that speed, even though folding itself usually kept right on going. But it doesn't entirely eliminate the GPU memory controller either so there's another case of needing to back it down a little bit more for those larger bumps in the road. Looks like all three of us have the same cards, the GTX260/216 SE because they all behave pretty much the same so far. Pretty fair indication of how well the designers did their homework, I'd say. Its also a fair indication of quality control, at both the discrete componenet level and final PCB level and final QC into the box. Zero82z has one with one behavior pattern I haven't seen on mine but then again I can't remember if its the same model number either LOL. If I've learned one thing since I first came here, it is that I despise getting old a lot more here than at the old hangout. HCF is one of only two non-engineering sites that have EVER tried to call a home outside of work. I find 90% of them nothing more than tabloid style, amateur attempts at a website, aimed for exactly the market that doesn't know professional from the quacks, and written by a virtually 99% staff which has not one stitch of professional education in electronics or computers, if anything at all. I used to think that of the other place too but it didn't take long for their true colors to leak through. My foruming days are nearly over. These days, a computer is the LAST thing I wanna see when I get home, even though it isn't my field. I'd just rather enjoy my new home with my new wife out in the quiet countryside, and have fun on the net when I have some time. HCF seems close to ideal so far. Not too big, not too small, decent management staff right down to the moderators, and much nicer people overall in the general membership than in the USA. AND NO SPAMMERS. I almost crapped a gold cream puff when I saw that so either Canada isn't on spammer target lists or you guys are on the ball and quick. Ask dan, spammers don't have a snowball's chance in hell of finishing registering before I know if they are one or not, with 90% or better accuracy.

Tell me to STFU now, Mister Zero82z wore me out LOL

bwm

bm im telling you if your health permits you and c come around ill show you the city.
We've been thinking about trying to get together with and yer bro sometime as well. Must start hatching a plan that easy on both of us.

Latest posts