What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding too confusing? Try BOINC!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
While it was fun trying to get everyone setup for the Chimp Challenge this year, the amount of threads and questions it raised reminded me how finicky it is to setup and keep going. I'm here to remind you of an option.

We also have a Rosetta@Home team, that uses the BOINC distributed computing software. While the Folding@Home project gets a lot of notice, there are other great causes out there too. And they use a piece of software that is MUCH simpler to setup and maintain. I have 2 systems with it installed that I haven't changed anything on in over a year.

Chilly wrote an excellent guide to the setup (with pictures, no less) found here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/13086-rosetta-home-setup-guide.html

Now, the software can be set up so that it only runs when your computer is idle. Great for you gamers who don't want to go to the bother of starting and stopping the folding clients. There's only one BOINC client, and it will run on any Windows machine.

I'd like to thank Scratch for starting and maintaining the team since its inception 2 years ago. He recently passed the team leader role on to me.

So thanks for reading, and help HardwareCanucks climb the ranks of Rosetta@Home. (We're currently #47 in the world, by the way.):canadianwave:

fruity

some bonic projects i do not like because they're by companies/ organizations that are for profit unless i'm mistaken

BLUEFISH44

I switched over to BOINC while I was cursed with never ending problems with the F@H SMP client, dead simple to setup and tonnes of great projects (and some not so great) I thing F@H "tie-in" would be a great combination.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Rosetta@Home is a not-for-profit organization, and is based at the University of Washington. See the top of the page here: Rosetta@home

"Description: Determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running Rosetta@home you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's."

I think it's a worthy cause to donate my time to. And while there are a couple of BOINC projects that are run by private companies, the vast majority of the projects are research projects run by universities. See here: Choosing BOINC projects

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Rosetta is a CPU only application at this time. There are other projects that utilize the GPU as well. From the BOINC Wiki:

Projects with NVIDIA applications:

Projects with ATI applications:

Edit: Supposedly AQUA@Home just released an OpenCL application, I'll have to look into that.

fruity

prime grid AP26 is completed now and they're working on follow up project for GPU.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Back in the day before CPU folding was worth it, folks often folded using Boinc (Rosetta) on the CPU and Folding on the GPU. When Bigadv and Notfreds came out, I put all my efforts into Folding.

Stanford was looking at a Boinc client at one point, but the folks working on that are no longer at Stanford if I recall.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
But I think you'd agree that setting up a Virtual Machine and/or SMP folding client is not simple. I'm constantly having to play around with my Folding clients, but my BOINC clients run troublefree, and I can ignore them for months at a time with no issues.

The whole point is that there is a simpler option to have your computer working away for the common good while you aren't using it. Boinc has 1 client for Windows instead of 6, installs easier, and will work away without you having to check on it frequently. I don't expect those of you who have gone to the trouble of getting your Folding clients set up to jump ship. I'm hoping that someone who wants to help out but might be overwhelmed by all the options Folding@Home gives will find this an easier way to get involved.

crazyhorsejohnny

But I think you'd agree that setting up a Virtual Machine and/or SMP folding client is not simple. I'm constantly having to play around with my Folding clients, but my BOINC clients run troublefree, and I can ignore them for months at a time with no issues.

The whole point is that there is a simpler option to have your computer working away for the common good while you aren't using it. Boinc has 1 client for Windows instead of 6, installs easier, and will work away without you having to check on it frequently. I don't expect those of you who have gone to the trouble of getting your Folding clients set up to jump ship. I'm hoping that someone who wants to help out but might be overwhelmed by all the options Folding@Home gives will find this an easier way to get involved.

Same here. I do Resetta and Poem and its as simple as simple is.