What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Forbes : Why Windows 10 will stay free

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Interesting. MS needs to do something else to generate money though. What that is I have no idea but OS sales need to be treated as a loss-leader to upsell other items within the ecosystem.

sswilson

Staff member
I'd argue that it doesn't need to be free, but it does need to be a lot less expensive than current rates.

Imagine what adoption rates would be if we could get system builder prices? Hell, I wouldn't even blink about licenses being tied to the motherboard if it was only going to cost me $40 for a new OEM license.

Vittra

This article is based on the false premise that Windows 10 is currently completely free. It is not. It is, right now, as of this post and for quite some time before, being sold in both OEM and Retail copies on virtually any tech related retailer, both online and brick and mortar.

It is only free if you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. If you were still on XP or Vista for whatever reason, you have no choice but to buy it, or find a copy of Win 7/8.1 to buy and upgrade that.

There is no way Microsoft wants a scenario whereby people are still buying Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 copies floating around to upgrade, because that offers them the choice of keeping an older OS.

What is more likely is that either the free period will be extended, or that the price will drop, or some combination thereof.

Won't let me go to the site unless I turn off my ad blocker. Cya Forbes!

uBlock Origin has no such problem and is the replacement for the defunct Adblock Edge. I suggest upgrading if you are still using Edge, worse, Adblock Plus.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
This article is based on the false premise that Windows 10 is currently completely free. It is not. It is, right now, as of this post and for quite some time before, being sold in both OEM and Retail copies on virtually any tech related retailer, both online and brick and mortar.

It is only free if you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. If you were still on XP or Vista for whatever reason, you have no choice but to buy it, or find a copy of Win 7/8.1 to buy and upgrade that.

There is no way Microsoft wants a scenario whereby people are still buying Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 copies floating around to upgrade, because that offers them the choice of keeping an older OS.

What is more likely is that either the free period will be extended, or that the price will drop, or some combination thereof.

uBlock Origin has no such problem and is the replacement for the defunct Adblock Edge. I suggest upgrading if you are still using Edge, worse, Adblock Plus.

I changed from adblock to ublock origin and it made no difference in chrome. Still got that message from Forbes. Makes no difference to me though, I'd still boycott a site that actively does this regardless of my ability to circumvent it.

Vittra

That is curious. Although I use Firefox primarily, I just installed uBlock Origin on Chrome to test it out.. no problems either on the main page, or going to this article.

dsmoczyk

I'm going to use it until it becomes pay.. then I may be an adult and buy it lol

Im running a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 and it was fairly inexpensive. Runs games smoothly on high combined with my CPU

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

Here in Europe W10 is sold about 140 €. this is only a way to rip off money from our pocket.

Latest posts