What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Format RAID 10 HDDs if want to add 2 more HDDs?

hedgehog88

I would like to installed 2 new HDDs to my existing RAID 10 registered for a total of 6 drives. I'm using the on-board RAID setup. Would I need to format the entire current RAID setup in order to install the 2 extra drives or is it possible to install it and have it rebuild itself including the 2 new drives without losing any data?

BlueByte

That is RAID 50 at that point, two stripping RAID 5s(if I am reading what you want to do right). You can expand RAID arrays with decent RAID cards but I am thinking with on board you are stuck backing up, hitting the delete array button and creating a new one. I doubt your on board will let you do RAID 50 now that I think about it as well. IF you insist on that setup with your existing hardware it would have to be two RAID 5's stripped through the OS software.... kind of a head ache and asking for problems.

What are you doing with the array? does it have to be one single RAID and extra redundancy? if so go RAID 6

Twitter