What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Formatting. Install Windows XP or Windows 7

Which OS to install after format?

• Windows XP Pro 32 bit

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Windows 7 32 bit

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Windows 7 64 bit

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

geokilla

Update: Installed Windows 7. Got some problems.

I'm going to format my rig in sig soon and am deciding whether to stick with Windows XP or try Windows 7. As much as I'd like to try Windows 7, I'm not a fan of beta OS. Also there's the problem with it expiring so I'd be forced to either install Windows 7 or revert back to Windows XP once it expires. I did however learn that I can install Windows 7 over an existing copy of Windows XP.

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Update: Installed Windows 7. Loving it but there's a few problems that I need help with.

Last edited:
G

Why not dualboot? If not I would say 7 64bit, I hated the beta but the RC is quite good. I did have a problem with 1 driver but grabbing the server08 version fixed me up.

You do have until mid next year to try 7 beta, thats a hell of a lot longer than I go without a fresh install.

Arinoth

Staff member
I have not run into a single problem with Win 7 64 bit, i would say go with it

geokilla

Why not dualboot? If not I would say 7 64bit, I hated the beta but the RC is quite good. I did have a problem with 1 driver but grabbing the server08 version fixed me up.

You do have until mid next year to try 7 beta, thats a hell of a lot longer than I go without a fresh install.
Would I want to dual boot? I doubt I'd dual boot because I'm lazy :biggrin:.

That's true...I only format when I have to and when I feel that the computer is getting glitchy.

What do you guys think of Windows 7? I understand that it's basically Windows Vista but like better and faster. I really hate the Vista/7 start menu and Windows Explorer and stuff. I find it a bit annoying. However, change is imminent and I guess you just have to get used to it.

Should I get more RAM or is 2GB enough? My main concern is the amount of RAM I got.

JD

Staff member
What do you guys think of Windows 7? I understand that it's basically Windows Vista but like better and faster. I really hate the Vista/7 start menu and Windows Explorer and stuff. I find it a bit annoying. However, change is imminent and I guess you just have to get used to it.

Should I get more RAM or is 2GB enough? My main concern is the amount of RAM I got.
If you only have 2GB, running Windows 7 32bit would be fine. You could run 64bit as well though just that unless you actually have a bunch of 64bit programs, it's not going to be of much benefit.

I have Windows 7 running on a 1GB DDR-400, Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (s939) PC just fine. Gets a touch slow at times but nothing horrible.

bojangles

Windows 7 64-bit too. It also wouldn't hurt to grab a 2x2GB kit just to take advantage of it too. DDR2 kits are really cheap these days.

I've had no problems with Windows 7 yet, other than figuring out how to be able to save settings via config on steam games. I figured it out thought after the longest time. You can use Vista 64 drivers as long as it wasn't changed from the Vista API. Just try and find all Windows 7 drivers and you should be fine.

Chilly

Go with Windows 7 x64-bit. No reason not to go with 64-bit of your going a fresh OS install.

Don't worry about the diffrences between XP and Seven, as long as you go into it with an open mind, you'll get used to the changes relatively easily. At first things like the start menu may annoy you a bit, but trust me on this, you don't really appreciate the good things about them(changes) till you go back to XP and keep trying to do something thats not possible(in XP).

Windows 7 is really great, I've been enjoying it on my main build quite a lot, ever since the first beta has been publicly released.

freaked

I would say go for x64 version. I went from XP to Windows 7(x64) and I have absolutely no regrets. But I would recommend doing a fresh install and not doing the upgrade route.

Nodscene

I vote for 7 x64. I despise Vista with a passion but really like 7. Once I was able to get the quick launch back I've been a happy camper ever since. No issues with drivers at all.

geokilla

So I can just use Vista 64 bit drivers on Windows 7 64 bit?

I don't mind getting more RAM, but I might see how 2GB runs in Windows 7 first. I'm like a casual gamer, playing games like CoD4 every once in a while so that shouldn't be a huge problem. However if I get more RAM, I'll have to figure out what to do with my current 2GB kit.

@Chilly. What were you trying to do in Windows 7 that you can't do on XP?

@Nodscene. What's wrong with the quick launch?

Latest posts