What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Fractal Define 7 XL 3900X build

ipaine

This is sort of a continuation from my thread over here: https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threads/new-build-amd-pci-e-lanes-questions.81180/

So after much thought and flip flopping I finally came up with the parts I wanted for my rebuild. Originally I was going to just rebuild in my current R6 case, but I have found there to be very little room in the R6 for the rad and my hybrid cards so I made the decision to move to the 7 XL, which is much bigger.

Here are all the parts;

Motherboard: Crosshair VIII Hero.
CPU: Ryzen 3900X
Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36
Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Fans: Arctic P12 PWM PST x12 (picked these cause of cost, so much cheaper than more Fractals or Corsairs or Noctua)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1200i
GPU: 1080ti with hybrid cooler x 2 (in current machine)
Storage: Seagate gen 4 1tb firecuda nvme
WD black 1tb nvme (not shown)
And a bunch of other sata ssds and hdds (not shown)

20200405_002648.jpg

So after getting the new case, I soon realized a small issue with the size of it. This is how things are set up in the R6:
1584899194979.png

Unfortunately the hybrids mounted to the front do not have long enough tubes to be able to reach the front of the 7 XL. So this took me on an adventure to figure out how to make it work.

Ultimately because of not finding spacers that I could order and not having enough old fans to turn into spacers I have ended up choosing this option:
case layout 1.jpg

All 3 fans for each hybrid are connected together and will be powered by one of the motherboard headers each. So that way all 3 fans turn at the same rate and are all the same Arctic P12 fans. I would have just used spacers if I had more old fans, but this will work too.

So after deciding this came the other issue that I had not thought about, how the hell do I mount all the fans/spacers? After a couple trips to Home Depot and buying more than needed, I finally found these long 6-32 rods that I can cut to the right size.

Here is the first test to see how things might work:

20200401_180425.jpg

And now seeing if it will actually fit right in the case:

20200402_161941.jpg

Alright it will work for size and tubes will not be too tight. Then I had to decide exactly how I wanted to mount them to the case. Did I want them as is and then bolt to the front or just bolt them together and let the front fan be screwed in. I'm going with the second option and you can see below how it turns out.

20200403_190059.jpg

This was a total bitch to get together. The nuts I used a fancy ones, but they hit frame of the fan and you basically have to grind down a little bit of the plastic on the fan to be able to tighten them down. I do wish I had a couple gaskets to put in between each fan to make a tighter seal but oh well.

And this is about where I am right now. I do have all the parts and plans (well most of) on how I'm setting it up. I'm hoping to do this tomorrow but I might have to push it another day as I figure out how I want to mount the drives.

Oh and here is my cat tax and yes she did tip the entire box over and fall inside after I pulled the case out of it.
20200329_154746.jpg

ipaine

Top card yes, bottom not really. So either way I would have to setup spacers. And I like the visual of it better with the cables going to the front.

I just swapped cards and put the one in the picture into my current machine to test, and man those fans are quiet. Even if I crank them up to max speed they are not loud at all. Now will they perform as well as the fans I had on the hybrids before? Doesn't look like it, but I would say about the same when at the same volume level, just not at the top end. The previous corsair SP120's could really ramp up and get loud but could also keep the cards at only a degree above ambient at idle.

Bond007

I have never used a case that size. Nice parts choices!...forgot to say that in my first post. Keep us posted.

crazyea

I'd probably move the panel from the back to the front to cover that up. Maybe even use a hd try to support it as well.

Outside of the limitations you are experiencing, how do you like the case? I was a huge fan of the original xl r2.

ipaine

I'm actually most likely going to be doing that. I'm thinking I'll be doing it all tomorrow as today was kind of a write off. Just trying to organize my thoughts on everything and what drives are going where etc.

But I will say this case is big and super easy to work in.

bassnut

A couple of thoughts .... Below is a blowup of your case it looks like there is space to drop a couple of single rads on the bottom. I admit that venting a rad from the bottom is not my preferred method but it might be better then all those fans and spacers you are thinking of using now, at the very least allot more astatically pleasing if it can be done.

Define_7_Sheetmetal_Black_XL_Blowout.jpg

from this blowup there looks like there is a removable hatch or plate that will allow you to route your tubes.

R7.png

Some food for though .....

ipaine

Yes, if I was doing a full custom loop then I would of course be doing things differently. But the main thing is that I have the two hybrid cards, due to that I am restricted in what I can do.

Now in the future once I get new gpus then it might change as I doubt I will go with the hybrids and will instead just go full custom loop, at that point then I wouldn't have to worry about the spacers.

Ok, as for progress, not much. I'd say I was too busy, but I'm not, just lazy. That said I did some figuring about drives and such and ended up having to go to the store to get some longer sata cables so I could reach my 2.5" hot swap 4 bay drive. You can see the back of it in this picture:
20200412_154004.jpg

So before I get into the next part that has totally pissed me off, I will start by saying that this is the easiest case I have ever worked in. That much taken apart and only one part had screws, everything else is just so simple.

Now the part that has pissed me off, and this is directed at both my psu and the case. I want to be mounting 2 ssds to the brackets on the back that you can see in the picture. The problem is the sata power connections. The sata cables on the corsair psu are all at 90 degree angles and because of that I can't plug in the drives that I mount on those brackets. So now I have to get some adapters or something so I can actually plug in the drives. And yes I have looked and don't have any that aren't old school molex to sata. Just really bugs me since it means a trip to the store and I'm really trying to stay home as much as possible.

Man I really hope that is the last thing I need.