What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

free nas question

Shadowmeph

SO I have my 2500K PC still running it has all my files on it on separate drives it also has win8.1 install. I am wondering if it is possible to use a usb stick with free nas installed on it and bypassing the windows 8.1 OSA totally and just using it as a nas is it possible or do I have to open it up and unplug the windows OS drive?

Entz

You can definitely use a USB stick and boot to it (change the boot options in the bios) and use it as a NAS while not changing the windows install. The drives will be reported as non-linux, just make sure you don't install anything or otherwise try and use the windows disks as data drives in the NAS without extreme caution.

Worth noting that FreeNas needs to be installed onto something (AFKAIK) so you will actually need 2 USB sticks. One for the FreeNAS installer and one for the FreeNAS installation. You basically install it to the other USB drive.

Another option is to virtualize it and keep your windows running (depending on resources)

Shadowmeph

You can definitely use a USB stick and boot to it (change the boot options in the bios) and use it as a NAS while not changing the windows install. The drives will be reported as non-linux, just make sure you don't install anything or otherwise try and use the windows disks as data drives in the NAS without extreme caution.

Worth noting that FreeNas needs to be installed onto something (AFKAIK) so you will actually need 2 USB sticks. One for the FreeNAS installer and one for the FreeNAS installation. You basically install it to the other USB drive.

Another option is to virtual it and keep your windows running (depending on resources)
are you saying to fire up windows open virtual machine then install free nas in virtual and run it from there ?

Entz

Yes, That way you could have both. I guess I am trying to figure out your intent. Are you still intending to use your windows 8 machine from time to time or simply want to stop using it forever without actually killing it. A part time NAS doesn’t make sense to me unless your just playing then a VM seems safer than oops I nuked my windows disks because I clicked on X

Or just use windows to share.

Shadowmeph

I think that I will juts keep doing what I am I use windows on this pc was thinking oif just changing it top NAS machine but no real point of doing that I still access files from mu other machinse . Thanks for the info though :)

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter