What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Free WIFI as a Perk for rental property

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The CRTC doesnt make laws, so I would doubt that.

The simple solution is to just route everything through a VPN if you're worried about your tenants.

Also, as far as I know any torrenting of material is still very grey area for legality; The notice system goes to your ISP, and they forward it to you, but (my understanding) it has no teeth. The only relevant information I can source is from 2019, so its possible its changed since then, but I doubt it.

" The Notice and Notice regime aims to discourage online infringement. Receiving a notice does not necessarily mean that you have in fact infringed copyright or that you will be sued for copyright infringement. "

and some overview stuff from the news;

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Follow up; It looks like there has been some change, but only in the way the copyright laws are being enforced; Holders can request a "Norwich Order" in order to send you Civil Court cases. So, even now, its not illegal as its considered a civil matter between two parties.

Even that is being appealed by Rogers from the sounds of it, so it looks like for now the 'notice and notice' toothless system is still in full effect until the Norwich case is applied.

Edit: Looks like there were some sidecases that apply before the courts too, as recent as November of last year;

The TLDR seems to be :
1) Copyright holders can force ISP's to block sites that infringe (this is being appealed), and,

2) IP identification doesnt lead to guilt, even after a Norwich Order makes an ISP provide your name

(Source.)

Funny enough, the Source actually talks about tenants using the owners wifi as the reason for the lack of proof...

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I would be far more concerned with things like CP and such than torrenting TBH.
Yeah, that's the warning I used to give to folks who didn't seem concerned about securing their wireless... you might not care if somebody wants to suck up some of your bandwidth... you might care a lot more if it's the RCMP at your door asking why somebody in your house is downloading Kiddy Pron.

clshades

they can't do anything to you if someone torrents on wifi... it will just destroy your connection if you don't limit it. I'd consider doing it through a managed switch with a dual lan option. That way you separate the subnet and they can't see your network. Then they have their own router and wireless network. Keeps ya safe from network type virii.

Last edited:

gingerbee

it all seems like a lot of work for a very small perk of a rental apt. what wrong with tenants getting there own internet I mean you can get the lines pre-run so you don't have to worry about bell/rogers tech's drilling holes in your house

Shadowarez

Folding Team
couldn't you just get a switch or router that has a guest network option from there you could configure usage speed, limits quotas. or setup pihole and block certain tpyes of sites. seen a vid on LTT recently wasnt linus hosting it either,

Izerous

Folding Team
it all seems like a lot of work for a very small perk of a rental apt. what wrong with tenants getting there own internet I mean you can get the lines pre-run so you don't have to worry about bell/rogers tech's drilling holes in your house
The upstairs tennants have thier own right now, and the basement is vacant at the moment. Instead of lowering perspective rent yet again was thinking it might be a low cost incentive.

Building was built in 2011, so things like cat5e have already been run in the walls when it was built. Conduit for running network lines from outside into the house.

clshades

Might be worth just adding another internet connection for the basement, mid ranged connection and throw it up. Everything in my area pretty much provides internet as apart of the rent. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Chris

why not subcribe wifi in the tenants name, but your control the modem and have free wifi for yourself.