What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Freesync on Gsync!?

Lysrin

What is the setting for attempting to enable freesync on a NVidia card? Is it as simple as selecting vsync as either adaptive full or half?

These are the instructions as covered in a Techradar article, their typos, not mine:

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel
2. Got to “Display: Set up G-SYNC”
3. Check “Enable G-SYNC G-SYNC Compatible” and select your preferred options
4. Select your monitor
5. Check “Enable settings for the selected display model”
6. Apply settings

Source: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-turn-your-freesync-monitor-into-a-g-sync-monitor

sswilson

Staff member
Unfortunately the card I want to do this with (the 1030 in my sig) isn't showing me the option to enable gsync. I do OTOH have the ability to enable adaptive sync in the vertical sync option of the nvidia control panel....

Lysrin

Hmm... I wonder did NVIDIA change it after they updated the drivers or something, post those instructions from Techradar? I have an actual g-sync monitor so I only see the options I would expect for that. Not sure if mine shows an adaptive sync in the vertical sync options. I can check later. I usually select either fast or off for v-sync in my case with actual g-sync support.

Lpfan4ever

Sounds like a bit of confusion on why there's so few Freesync monitors that work "properly" with NVIDIA cards. The issue is NVIDIA typically wants a much larger refresh rate range (2.4:1) than most Freesync monitors provide. I know in the past reviews for Freesync, the biggest issue was when FPS dropped to low levels and Freesync just shit the bed. Meanwhile GSYNC monitors handle those low FPS drops much better.

enaberif

Sounds like a bit of confusion on why there's so few Freesync monitors that work "properly" with NVIDIA cards. The issue is NVIDIA typically wants a much larger refresh rate range (2.4:1) than most Freesync monitors provide. I know in the past reviews for Freesync, the biggest issue was when FPS dropped to low levels and Freesync just shit the bed. Meanwhile GSYNC monitors handle those low FPS drops much better.

My issue was the bottom 1/4 of my screen would do a really weird flicker if it was enabled lol.

sswilson

Staff member
I think I've figured out why it's not working... can anybody confirm that Gsync only works when using display port? (I'm using display port on my ASUS Gsync monitor, but I thought that was more about refresh rate than it was about Gsync).

edit: It's no biggie... the only thing 3D that's run on this PC is Plane9, I just thought it would be neat to run freesync on a cheaparse nvidia card....

belgolas

I think I've figured out why it's not working... can anybody confirm that Gsync only works when using display port? (I'm using display port on my ASUS Gsync monitor, but I thought that was more about refresh rate than it was about Gsync).

edit: It's no biggie... the only thing 3D that's run on this PC is Plane9, I just thought it would be neat to run freesync on a cheaparse nvidia card....

Yup Gsync one works on displayport even for gsync compatible mode.

As far as I know Nvidia Control Panel should auto detect your freesync monitor to be compatible.

The monitor I listed (LG UltraGear 34GK950F) it only works with gsync compatible if on the OSD for the monitor you set it to Freesync Extended mode. It works flawlessly with Nvidia GPUs.

enaberif

Only DP will support the proper refresh rates.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, that's what's going on then. This super cheap Samsung that I picked up used for $100 only has VGA and HDMI ports so no Freesync for me unless I want to invest in a half-height AMD card.....

Latest posts