What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Freeze

Asspigeon

Hey guys, I am new to the site and wondering if you could help me with a problem I have been having.

It seems that whenever I try to run any games on my computer it will freeze after a period of time and I have to reboot. I know this isn't a video card driver issue because I have used 3 different drivers and I get the same result with each one. Also, it is not game dependent because it has happened during a number of different games.

I have not yet checked my memory or power supply to see if they are the source of the problem. Finally my temps are as follows:

MB - 50c (seems a little high)
CPU- 37c
CPU fan - 2848 RPM
CHASSIS fan - 998 RPM

Asus Probe II is showing warnings for both MB temperature and chassis fan speed. These temps were all recorded while the computer was idle.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Hey guys, I am new to the site and wondering if you could help me with a problem I have been having.

It seems that whenever I try to run any games on my computer it will freeze after a period of time and I have to reboot. I know this isn't a video card driver issue because I have used 3 different drivers and I get the same result with each one. Also, it is not game dependent because it has happened during a number of different games.

I have not yet checked my memory or power supply to see if they are the source of the problem. Finally my temps are as follows:

MB - 50c (seems a little high)
CPU- 37c
CPU fan - 2848 RPM
CHASSIS fan - 998 RPM

Asus Probe II is showing warnings for both MB temperature and chassis fan speed. These temps were all recorded while the computer was idle.

1) What kind of power supply are you using? Brand & wattage.

2) Download Memtest86+ to test your memory as that's easy step to take. <table style="width: 77pt; border-collapse: collapse;" x:str="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="103"><colgroup><col style="width: 77pt;" width="103"></colgroup><tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"><td class="xl24" style="border: medium none rgb(236, 233, 216); width: 77pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" height="17" width="103">Download</td></tr></tbody></table>

Asspigeon

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2048 OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
Seagate 300GB
7950GTx2
OCZ GameStream 700W

Trying the memtest now

magictorch

idle very hot

Hi, ive got the same MB and software and it never gets above 36 load. that seems very hot for the MB. if youve rule out memory as the problem have you tried something like the vantec fan card on the bottom PCI slot...this blows air over the GPU and board and seems to keep temps down very nicely if you have some vents at the bottom of the case to draw air in. Just a thought.

magictorch

just noticed

youve got two 7950's...they have poor stock cooling and will go over 70oc, I wonder if they are heating the MB?...the antec fancard will help there...my 7950Gt used to load at 68-70oc with the board over 44oc with the fan card ive never seen the GPU over 48oc-and MB max 36oc. depends on your case as well.

Asspigeon

I think I just ruled out memory as the problem, ran memtest for about an hour and saw no errors. If what you say is true about mobo temp, I may look into more cooling.

My case has 120mm intake and 2x 120mm exhaust with stock cooling for GPUs and CPU.

Asspigeon

Gigabyte Aurora, fans are about a year old (but I clean my case frequently).

MB temps are about 55c under load btw.

sswilson

Staff member
1 HR memtest will only tell you if the mem is pooched, it won't necessarily tell you if it's stable.

Are you OCing?

Have you run a good (8 hour) orthos to prove stability?

Latest posts