What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Freezing issues

Bapadaboopy

Hey all. I've got a weird problem. When I turn my computer on, it boots into windows xp just fine. However, when I go to open any program or file, the whole computer freezes and i have to physically turn the pc off. I do not know how this happened, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. Has anyone had something like this happen before?

Oh I forgot to add, whenever it boots it tells me windows live messenger stopped working, and i can hit hit send microsoft the problem, and it starts to do it, then closes and freezes the pc. I don't know if that helps the diagnosis at all.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Does it do the same thing in Safe mode? Press F8 while booting to select.

KaptCrunch

bad memory replace stick or
bad MBR on HDD, using a single OS or mulitple (Lilo/NTFS)Windows boot partition corruptted , start saving files by moving HDD to another system then reformat HDD on the troubled system
by running OS setup disk for each FAT, then configure HDD

Caution make sure you are formatting the correct drive if have more then one drive in troubled system
best is only have 1 HDD when doing so
no room for error

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

Memory or corrupted windows IMO. Burn memtest to a dvd or a USB stick and test your ram. If it pass try repairing windows with the disk ( that can not work ) then give us update:p

Bapadaboopy

Thanks for your imput guys. I'm going to try that now.
Gord: I tried safe mode, but I've never used safe mode before, so I don't know if its always super slow or not. Plus my internet wouldn't work for some reason...

I'm just copying my files over onto another hard drive.. to make sure i don't lose anything, then I'm going to use memtest

KaptCrunch

Thanks for your imput guys. I'm going to try that now.
Gord: I tried safe mode, but I've never used safe mode before, so I don't know if its always super slow or not. Plus my internet wouldn't work for some reason...

I'm just copying my files over onto another hard drive.. to make sure i don't lose anything, then I'm going to use memtest

cos you need to choose safe mode with network option for internet to work

Latest posts