What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh install 8.1 Freezing but mouse still moves

biggyk

I installed 8.1 for the first time on my desktop just a few days ago and made sure all my drivers were correct from the Gigabyte website. When I first login sometimes my system will freeze, however I can still move around the mouse and ctrl+Alt-Del but I cant actually click anything. Not sure if thats a driver issue and it doesn't happen every time. I just hard restart and its fine the 2nd time. Happen to anyone?

sswilson

Staff member
Have you tried ctrl-alt-del to launch task manager in order to see what/if there's something eating cpu cycles?

How about your HDD? Is this a completely fresh install or is there a lot of non-OS content that win8 is attempting to index?

biggyk

Have you tried ctrl-alt-del to launch task manager in order to see what/if there's something eating cpu cycles?

How about your HDD? Is this a completely fresh install or is there a lot of non-OS content that win8 is attempting to index?
I cant really go too much into after. I tried logging off but it ends up freezing when logging off. Then I can still ctrl+alt+del again but screen just black. Its like semi froze. I wish I could grab a video but it doesn't happen all the time.

Im using a crucial ssd fresh install but i do have some start up apps. Steam, skype, utorrent and a few that installed with my mobo drivers.

sswilson

Staff member
Has it picked up the internet connection OK? The only other "quick" (without hands-on) that comes to mind would be to let it go to the login page and just walk away for a couple of hours to see if it's picking up any updates.

That said... if it's intermittent I'd be leaning more towards some kind of hardware issues.

biggyk

Has it picked up the internet connection OK? The only other "quick" (without hands-on) that comes to mind would be to let it go to the login page and just walk away for a couple of hours to see if it's picking up any updates.

That said... if it's intermittent I'd be leaning more towards some kind of hardware issues.
I believe the internet is fine. Il see next time if it happens. I wouldn't know where to start looking to see. But once it logs in im fine. It hasn't froze on me later in time when it successfully loads my desktop.......so far lol

The only thing I have done is oc my gskill ram from 1333 to 1600 and changed the timings to what gskill recommends.

biggyk

return any overclocking to default and see if that solves it. Could be hardware stability problem.
Thats what im thinking. If it happens again though, I try recording my screen with my phone to show the behaviour.

biggyk

Yesterday was fine however tonight turning the computer on for first time today and it froze after login.. This time mouse is not showing and I can't do anything else. Reboot and it's fine . I seem to already have a Internet connection at the login screen.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Have you tried a different mouse / USB port (preferably one off of the back of your motherboard)? Maybe you've got something going on with the physical USB connection.

biggyk

No I havent as I figured I can use to move it around while in login and sometimes in desktop dont think its an issue. I did go ahead and switch ports anyways.

A recent time I didnt see the mouse but i could get the right click sub menu to show but still couldnt ctl alt del. the only app that starts up in the bottom right is core temp, I think after that geforce loads.

Last edited: