What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh install W10 for best performance?

Mac29

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. Read thru the posts after my search except for 1 last Oct with 830 replies. Building a new pc and read you should fresh install Windows 10 to get the "best performance".

Now I have software that resets the HAL allowing me to change a HDD to another system. Works like a charm. Just wondering if knowlegeable folks are aware of any lesser "performance" if they somehow don't fresh install. I realize my mileage my vary...

Additionally, if W10 'learns' or adjusts itself to a system in the first few weeks then maybe it will do so all over again anyway.

Thanks,

Mac

sswilson

Staff member
Windows 10 seems to be the most forgiving OS when it comes to changing hardware, but I personally prefer doing a fresh install as it gives me a clean registry and doesn't come with unnecessary drivers in the background.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, but a fresh install also ensures you've got the latest and greatest of whatever software you install.

Mac29

Well I can't swear by the appl I have used to change systems. Seems fine on Windows 10 but so far only used between 2 Phenom II boards. Haven't noticed any drawbacks but I'm not a power user.

When you say latest & greatest software you install you're referring to drivers, etc. of Windows, interacting w/what applications you load?

sswilson

Staff member
Well I can't swear by the appl I have used to change systems. Seems fine on Windows 10 but so far only used between 2 Phenom II boards. Haven't noticed any drawbacks but I'm not a power user.

When you say latest & greatest software you install you're referring to drivers, etc. of Windows, interacting w/what applications you load?

Pretty much all of it. Who knows how old the software you've installed is if it doesn't run a periodic check... same goes for drivers... windows doesn't update all of them, only the ones critical to the OS core.

Keep in mind that every seasonal W10 "update" is in truth a full OS install over top of whatever third party drivers/software you installed onto the "older" version of W10 and (very much IMO) it's no wonder we see so many issues with incompatibilities.

Mac29

Huh. Sounds like pros vs cons of the new model, SAS. Don't wish to tangent off into how W10 doesn't respond like previous versions (and why) so I'll just ponder 'if the seasonal updates are in fact a full install, then I'm thinking MS could be introducing incompatibilities - way under the radar - w/every major update. Like the one coming up.

Another reason to keep learning Linux.

Thanx.

Shadowmeph

Huh. Sounds like pros vs cons of the new model, SAS. Don't wish to tangent off into how W10 doesn't respond like previous versions (and why) so I'll just ponder 'if the seasonal updates are in fact a full install, then I'm thinking MS could be introducing incompatibilities - way under the radar - w/every major update. Like the one coming up.

Another reason to keep learning Linux.

Thanx.
I wished that I could just use Linux but unfortunately I game so this pretty much stops me from using Linux.

JD

Staff member
I'd always suggest a re-install with any major hardware change, but it's generally not required anymore.

Further to what sswilson said, it also purges any software you no longer use. I tend to install something to use it at that moment in time and then never again. No need to have "dormant" software on your PC that could potentially have security vulnerabilities.

But yes, with the rolling release cycle of SaaS, Win10 has become pretty resilient.

Mac29

Shadowmeph: I keep reading about Steam and plan to check it out. I don't game much but hope that will change soon w/this build. Work load allowing.

Interesting, so a diff of opinion. I've read about the purging. Not sure what to make of it. As w/everything MS I guess we just have to deal with it. But an appl or game from 2004 or even before isn't likely to be a threat.

AFA W10 & rolling releases, I'm still learning W10 but glad I skipped last year : p I think a new system w/SSD and cpu will make it snappy but it still opens the wrong folder etc. every once in a while. Weird.

danmitch1

You can also follow these steps I got from a MS tech
QUOTE:
Hello Dan,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft support. Based on our discussion here are some further tips that should help.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

(Note: You can copy and paste the command directly to the Command Prompt)
4. Press Enter key to initiate the command.
5. Once the process is done, restart your PC immediately.
(Note: You will know if the process is done, if you will get this line again: 'C:\Windows\System32>')

or follow the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

sfc /scannow

(Note: You can copy and paste the command directly to the Command Prompt)
4. Press Enter key to initiate the command.
5. Once the process is done, restart your PC immediately.
(Note: You will know if the process is done, if you will get this line again: 'C:\Windows\System32>')

or follow the steps on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4002019/windows-10-improve-pc-performance

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter