What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fried GPU?

Ataxin

So... I was wondering what you guys think about my situation.

Basically, I had a Dell that consisted of:
350W PSU
Quad 2.66 Ghz
6 GB RAM
1 TB HDD
Radeon HD 4850

Long story short, my PSU crapped out all of a sudden (power cut off, rig wouldn't start up) and I think it may have fried my GPU. I replaced my PSU with a 500W and it boots fine using the integrated video card, but once I insert my 4850, the computer doesn't start. I get power - the fans run and I get light, but no beeps, no video output. I've uninstalled all old drivers and tried disabling my integrated and reset my CMOS, but to no avail.

Its not the PCI-E slot either, I tried putting an old Nvidia in, and my computer boots up.

Do you guys think my 4850 is done?

SugarJ

Staff member
In a word, yes. Check the back of the card for LED lights. Some ATI's have trouble shooting leds.

Ataxin

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the LED's now.

EDIT:
Hmm... plugged my 4850 in. Looked up the codes at
DIAGNOSTIC LEDs ON HD4850/70/90 & HD3/4xxX2 series cards. - VGA Forums

Both the LED's light up for a brief second, then turn off. The fan runs at base speed, but that's about it. No boot. I tried unplugging the 6 pin to see if I would get the "D1602 - EXT 12V fault" LED, but no dice: same result - both LED's light up for a brief second.

RMA time I guess?

Last edited:

gingerbee

I had this problem too the card is not receiving enough power. like during post both led's light up solid for a few seconds then turn off and right after that the computer turns off. or tghe card is dead try it with another power supply before you rma. jmo

gingerbee

good point but the bios will auto it anyways so it should work ( your bios looks for display adapters that are plugged in adn try to use that one )

Ataxin

I had this problem too the card is not receiving enough power. like during post both led's light up solid for a few seconds then turn off and right after that the computer turns off. or tghe card is dead try it with another power supply before you rma. jmo

Thanks for the suggestion; I tried the card in another system, same thing happens. I can't even get to BIOS.

I'm pretty convinced its gone. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!

Latest posts

Twitter