What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Front & Center Speakers

JD

Staff member
Well for the couple audiophile-type people on here, I come with another home theater question and tight budget...

I have the Yamaha HTR-6140B receiver, along with a Boston Acoustics CS Sub10. And as the subject says, looking for a pair of bookshelves and a matching center. Ideally surrounds too, but I don't think that will be affordable this year. My plans are to slowly upgrade, last year was the receiver and sub and reusing some old Panasonic HTIB speakers with a Polk Audio CSi30 center.

Relatively speaking, the bookshelves need to be fairly small and shielded (do LCDs need that?), as they'll sit beside my TV on the TV bench thing. Don't have measurements right now, but I'd say under 6" wide? I'm guessing that won't be the most feasible size though, so I guess I'll have to find elsewhere to place them. And sure, floorstanding ones would probably sound better but I really don't have the space for that.

Cost, let's say under $500 taxes in?

And as it stands, all theoretical. We'll see what my parents say to it as Christmas approaches.

biff

Not really - I don't have any experience with commercial speakers. But the first two you linked seem a little too 'gimmicky' to me and the plastic boxes throw up some red flags. But that's just an opinion based on not much fact.

JD

Staff member
Not really - I don't have any experience with commercial speakers. But the first two you linked seem a little too 'gimmicky' to me and the plastic boxes throw up some red flags. But that's just an opinion based on not much fact.
Well I don't expect anything high-end in this price range.

I did find a few reviews of sorts on the Monitor Audio ones, apparently they produce pretty good bass, though the treble is a bit too high.

People don't seem to be too big on Boston Acoustic stuff though, however I find the subwoofer I have from them performs nicely. Though of course, I haven't heard high-end subs either.

Maybe you can make me some ;)

Latest posts