What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Frustrated by Fans and ARGB.

Skippman

So I'm rebuilding my rig. Part of the rebuild is a complete redesign of the cooling system. Currently I'm using a Swiftech 360 rad, a Swiftech pump, and older Corsair LED fans. I'm planning on changing out to an EK water block and EK triple radiator.

This leads me to fan selection. I'd ideally like a fully ARGB set of fans. My original plan called for three Corsair ML120 fans for the radiator, two LL120's for intake in the visible areas. The downside to this is now my water block RGB is being controlled by the motherboard and I would need the iCue controller for the Corsair fans.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy the iCue controller and an adapter to allow the EK block to be addressed by iCue? Or should I consider another brand of ARGB fans that is addressable by the Fusion software on my new Gigabyte motherboard?

Gremlin

I know Gigabyte has their own proprietary cable for argb/rgb ..

Corsair has their own software... I would recommend just using the Corsair though out it would make it easier.

for me: I have an Asus board.. with only on argb port. I wanted Corsair (all this was before CES 2020) So I went with Antec Prizm set came with 3 fans (argb) and a fan controller. Controller had 5 ports for fan and argb. I held the mode down to turn the fan controller control of and Aura took over. If I had known Corsair was going to allow Asus, I would have waited. If you are going for RGB, corsair ql are nice..yes but expensive..

Skippman

That's probably what I'm going to have to do. I'll need to run whatever motherboard I end up with's software to control the G.Skill RAM LED's anyway.

JD

Staff member
In my case, I used Coolermaster RGB fans in the visible spots, and continue to use my Gentle Typhoons on my radiators that aren't really visible.

They worked fine with my ASUS RIVE10 and now with my Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme.

I think CM is the only one that uses "standard" RGB/ARGB connectors.

sswilson

Staff member
In my case, I used Coolermaster RGB fans in the visible spots, and continue to use my Gentle Typhoons on my radiators that aren't really visible.

They worked fine with my ASUS RIVE10 and now with my Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme.

I think CM is the only one that uses "standard" RGB/ARGB connectors.

The Lian-Li RGB case fans do as well.

RGB standards are still all over the place, but as I'm mostly invested in the corsair ecosystem, seeing them integrate Aurasync into ICue is a welcome step forward. I'll have to have a look to see if it'll pick up my memory sticks off of the ASUS board, and keep my fingers crossed that ASUS GPU support isn't all that far behind.

Izerous

Folding Team
The deep cool fans i picked up connect directly to the asus 12v header, but i'd not use them on a radiator. Cosmetic and general airflow purposes only. NF-F12's still on the radiators.

I had specially picked up the deepcool ones because they were compatible with aura sync and most of the other ones Iooked at required controllers or yet more software.

Gremlin

Lian Li are releasing new fans as well called Uni (I think fans from CES those are pretty cool as heck..

Yes @JD said Coolemaster is the only who uses standard ARGB/RGB however their fan controller is only available the AIO water cooler and can't and won't be sold separately.

Skippman

Ok, came up with two options for ARGB cooling Warmachine 5. Which do you guys like?

ComponentDescriptionSKU MSRP MakerVendorLink
Radiator Fans3x MASTERFAN SF120R ARGBMFX-B2DN-20NPA-R1 $ 59.97Cooler MasterAmazonCooler Master
Case Fans3x MASTERFAN SF120R ARGBMFX-B2DN-20NPA-R1 $ 59.97Cooler MasterAmazonCooler Master
RGB HubMASTERFAN ARGB AND PWM HUBMFX-ZHHN-1NNN6-R1 $ 29.99Cooler MasterAmazonCooler Master
CPU/Mobo Water BlockEK-Quantum Momentum Aorus X570 Master D-RGB - Plexi3831109819029 $ 154.99EK WaterblocksEKEK Water Blocks
RadiatorEK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)3831109860472 $ 74.99EK WaterblocksEKEK Water Blocks
Total: $ 379.91

ComponentDescriptionSKU MSRP MakerVendorLink
360mm RadiatorHydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling RadiatorCX-9030003-WW $ 69.99CorsairNeweggCorsar
CPU Water BlockHydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block (115X/AM4)CX-9010004-WW $ 74.99CorsairNeweggCorsair
Radiator FansML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node PROCX-9020001-WW $ 99.99CorsairNeweggCorsair
Case FansML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node PROCX-9020001-WW $ 99.99CorsairNeweggCorsair
Fan/System ControlleriCUE Commander PRO Smart RGB Lighting and Fan Speed ControllerCL-9011110-WW $ 66.99CorsairNeweggCorsair
Corsair Total: $ 411.95

Skippman

I'm not sure I like the rounded sides to be honest. I've always preferred a more squared off style. My worry about the rounded off style is how it will impact my radiator since it doesn't look like it will completely cover it.

Latest posts