What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Frustrating problem with newly built PC, Shuts off!

Pycckue

Never mind about directx 9 10 11, BF3 was downloading the remaining needed files 4.5gbs , i started MW2 Campaign and it shut off within 5 minutes, temperatures being barely warm! I will get back once I have played BF3 to rule the next possibility out!

Masteroderus

Did you double check yourself the memory is on the QVL? I know bond says that he hasn't had issues, but I have seen the same problem you are talking about twice resolved by just adhering to the QVL.

In fact, when my friend bought his bunk ram, he explicitly asked "is this memory on my QVL" and the memory express clerk pretended to look it up and said it was. It was not, and the cheapest memory on the list (kingston value) worked flawlessly.

Masteroderus

I just thought of something too!

Are you using the proper cord that came with your PSU? If you're using an older , thinner gauge cord it will not provide enough juice to your PSU and could cause random shut downs. Also, I bet you didn't take your computer into the repair shop WITH THE CORD YOU USE AT HOME!

I really hope you can resolve your problem as I know all too well how gremlins can frustrate. Good luck, and I will check this thread in the morning (gamer morning, 2 PM).

KaptCrunch

when VR overheats starts to spike voltage, PSU kicks protection mode .....black screen

look at VR chip heatsink on MB is a voltage spike that shuts down system

re-PAD (T.I.M) heat sink and check clearances/flatness of chip bed if posible use nylon #4 screws to mount HS

i've had diode on end holding one side up , filed a bexel on HS to allow porper pressure on chip

Last edited:

Painbringer71

Always make sure your power connectors are all well seated. I had my main board connector not fully seated it would work then blamo black screen. After I soiled myself I noticed the pin had backed out a bit. Reseated and all was good. It worked fine until it needed extra juice.

Pycckue

Thanks for the advices guys, gonna take it back today.

Installed BF3, in campaign it shuts off within a minute.
Turning off vsync extends the playtime, i noticed.

Yes i was using the small cord with psu, switching to the
Thick one did not help.

Suspecting video card now. Gonna have them try a different one.

At the moment its still not solved.

Gonna ask them about VR heat.

Adzsask

At this point, I would contact whoever sold you the PC and demand they troubleshoot it like they are supposed to do before sending it out to you, if they even slightly hesitate, return it all, My friend has had 4 PC's build at NCIX, and you show them any weakness at all they will stomp all over you.

Pycckue

At this point, I would contact whoever sold you the PC and demand they troubleshoot it like they are supposed to do before sending it out to you, if they even slightly hesitate, return it all, My friend has had 4 PC's build at NCIX, and you show them any weakness at all they will stomp all over you.

Took it to them today and they are pretty understanding.

They built my brothers PC: his is on the same motherboard but with different CPU/GPU/PSU and brothers PC
works like a charm.

So, it must be bad luck with one of the parts. Hopefully they will find the problem. I will reply to this thread
if i find anything new!

I sent the link to this thread to them, so if you guys have any suggestions it will be extremely helpful i think.

sexpot

swap the psu with a known good one, that's the first thing i would do with regards to intermittent shut downs. next would be the system board.

Pycckue

They switched out gtx 680 for my old gtx260 and it never shut off,
So they told me gtx 680 is not yet compatible, so we ordered
Gtx 580 900mhz 3gb. It shipped, they installed it and bam, shut off.

They switched that 1000w psu for 750w off the shelf gave the pc to me
Over the weekend. Ive been playing BF3, D3 beta, mw2 and it hasnt shut off once.

So the problem was psu! Now i hope they didnt send gtx 680 back, it was better than 580
By far

Latest posts