What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

FSP Releases Hot Pluggable Redudnant PSU for ATX Form Factor

enaberif

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13807/fsp-twin-redundant-psu-900w-due-later-this-year

500w and 700w redundant PSU that fit into the standard ATX location. a 900w is due later.

THIS IS AWESOME! :punk:
So does this mean its [email protected] and [email protected] combined into a single unit? So that in the event of a failure you still have SOME power to use.

Do you have to RMA the whole power supply if a failure happens? Or will the individual parts be sold separately? How much to replace a single side vs whole unit?

Interesting how this will play out.

Mr. Friendly

I'm really looking fwd to details too.

and common sense would dictate like other redundant PSU systems, you just RMA or replace the failed unit. that it can be set to hot swap is pretty nifty as well! :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Because it's redundant it will be whatever wattage per module. So 2 x 700 or 2 x 500. That is how they work these usually.

They did this once before back in 2017 with the FSP twins. They are obviously upping the ante in terms of power delivery. It will be interesting to see if the VRMs for the minor rails are independent or grouped like the Twin was. Which made it redundant still but with a singular fail point of those VRMs failed.

-ST

lowfat

Staff member
IMO don't see a point. Pretty sure they announced the same thing @ last CES. Don't know many people who have mission critical systems that run DIY systems.

Entz

IMO don't see a point. Pretty sure they announced the same thing @ last CES. Don't know many people who have mission critical systems that run DIY systems.
I would tend to agree, especially since Supermicro/Intel/Gigabyte etc all make tower chassis with built in redundant PSU's even if you are going DIY.

The older twins were extremely expensive. Not sure if they are still common but you could pick up an brand new in box Intel P4308XXMHGR (Chassis with hotswap and dual 720w platinum PSUs) shipped for less than the cost of just the 700w twin.

AkG

I can see it taking off in the home-brew NAS builder niche. Take a nice but cheap chineseium 4U case w/ ATX support. Stick in one of these bad boys... add a bunch of hdds and FreeNAS and it would be a nice little bit of piece of mind. Outside of that niche... no idea who would want it.

Soultribunal

Staff member
There is obviously a Market for this out there somewhere (maybe as Drop in Replacements to the Tower Servers from Lenovo/Dell/HP ect) otherwise they wouldn't have spent the Engineering and Marketing for it.

I guess the Twins paved the way for these.

Not that I would ever need these, but who knows, Maybe convert my old Cube into a Server at home and pop one of these into it.

-ST