What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Full 5800X3D review by techpowerup & GN

Bond007

Per the title, the first full review of the 5800X3D I have gone through. Ends up being pretty much exactly where I thought it would be. CPU intensive tasks are better off with more cores, but anything that is cache heavy (including lots of games) can get some pretty impressive gains. The review tests at the lots of resolutions, but I always ignore the useless in practice 720p results. Results do bounce around from game to game. Really no change in power efficiency. At the end of the day, it shows promise for what is to come and is impressive considering lower clocks and the same power envelope as the 5800X for games….but the cost is likely going to kill this for most people.

EDIT: Also, see post #12 for a GN video review posted by moocow.

Full review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d/

1440p shows impressive results (resolution I use):
relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png

This result is crazy (Borderlands 3 @ 1440p):
borderlands-3-2560-1440.png

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
I get why some of them do 720p testing the purpose is an attempt to make sure the CPU is doing all the work and negate the GPU's performance from the equasion... but I also outright ignore them.

Some games the uplift is very noticable like the Borderlands 3 one you posted... a lot of them see only a 1-5% uplift at best which is a disapointment. I believe the 5800x3D would have done a lot better in a lot of these tests if they had kept the core speed the same instead of reducing it. Would have simply been able to eliminate the standard 5800x from their current lineup then

Side note I saw this and it makes me glad we have not swapped out our dev machines for the new intel stuff. Debugging that in the office would have driven me nuts
"On Alder Lake, MySQL runs on the E-cores due to an issue with the scheduler/Thread Director. That's why the scores are so low."

lowfat

Staff member
Disappointing. I wonder why it has no overclocking support.

EDIT: At Cinabench R23, their results are almost 8% lower than my 5800X. In both single and multithreaded. Disappointing indeed.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Disappointing. I wonder why it has no overclocking support.

EDIT: At Cinabench R23, their results are almost 8% lower than my 5800X. In both single and multithreaded. Disappointing indeed.
OC was stopped due to the vcache being capped or some such.

Rumours around the mill are that heat was a serious problem with this chip. Judging from the thermals on the last page (its definitely consuming more wattage) that would seem to be accurate.

Izerous

Folding Team
I'll likly not move away from AM4 for a couple years now so I usually try to grab the best thing at the end of life when they are all marked down as they are right now.

So I awaited the results of the 5800x3d benchmarks and for my personal use it is an aboslute bust. Basically 5800x -> 5950x or not bother changing anything but the GPU in the next couple years.

I however went and did something kinda silly over the weekend anyways and increased the number of vehicles in the household by 1. I'm positive that until i reduce that number by 1 again that any extra spending will result in me sleeping on the couch. I'm literally awaiting a phone call any minute now about an out of provice inspection to pass/fail to find out how much trouble I truly am in. (FreeKnight mentioning government auction led me to police auctions which over the weekend resulted in a car)

Bond007

I think there is a hard voltage cap of around 1.35v for the added cache, which is supposedly why they dropped peak clocks and removed OC.

ipaine

Honestly I was waiting for the 3d cache to come out but was hoping for a 5900 level one. When it became apparent that it was not coming I picked the 5900x instead of waiting. And honestly glad I did. I mean I have a 3090 and run games at 3440x1440 so the differences are minimal at best. And then for pretty much every thing else the 5900x still wins so I'm happy with my choice.

And come on not being able to even oc at all or even underclock, just sucks.

Latest posts