What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

G.Skill 8000 - Wrong MHz/Timings?

CactusJoe

Mornin'! :canadianwave:

On my new system, I bought G.Skill 8000 2x2gb 1000mhz. I tought I did a great buy at first, but now it seems a little complicated.

Im using a EP45-DS3L mobo.

According to my BIOS and CPU-Z, my ram is only working @ 400mhz. Ok, I admit this is my first build and I'm still a newb at all this but... Dosnt take a pro to figure out 600mhz are missing! :)

Default timings are : 5-4-4-12 (I dont know if that means its good or bad.)

So, I googled for answers, and browsed forums @ g.skill homepage and other places to figure out that the G.Skill 8000 is set to 400 mhz, 1.80v by default by manufacturer to avoid any compatibility issues (with people using 667mhz max mobos for exemple).

The quick "fix" for this issue, would be to increase voltage for the ram. Wich I did.
I incresed the voltage 3 times, almost up 1 volt, and I didnt see any changes in the BIOS or in CPUZ...

What should I do get at least 1000mhz from those suckers?

encorp

Actually how it works is that it's 400mhz x 2, so it's operating at DDR2 800 which is not uncommon. That is a JDEC standard setting.

Increasing voltage won't do anything to speed it up.

Step 1, Find the default specs for your memory on it's packaging or the website. You'll need Timings, Voltage, Mhz.

Now i'm not familiar with your bios but you will need to find a way to manually enter in these specifications. (Sometimes this requires you to "Unlink" your memory in order to change the settings manually).

Set your memory to 500mhz, 500 x 2 = 1000, then set your timings to their default, and set the voltage to default.

Don't increase the voltage unless you overclock your memory; it won't change their speed, you change the mhz seperately and apply more voltage to support that.

Let me (us) know if that does or dosen't help!

Edit: btw; 5-4-4-12 on DDR2 1000 is actually pretty nice specs!

sswilson

Staff member
Actually how it works is that it's 400mhz x 2, so it's operating at DDR2 800 which is not uncommon. That is a JDEC standard setting.

Increasing voltage won't do anything to speed it up.

Step 1, Find the default specs for your memory on it's packaging or the website. You'll need Timings, Voltage, Mhz.

Now i'm not familiar with your bios but you will need to find a way to manually enter in these specifications. (Sometimes this requires you to "Unlink" your memory in order to change the settings manually).

Set your memory to 500mhz, 500 x 2 = 1000, then set your timings to their default, and set the voltage to default.

Don't increase the voltage unless you overclock your memory; it won't change their speed, you change the mhz seperately and apply more voltage to support that.

Let me (us) know if that does or dosen't help!

Edit: btw; 5-4-4-12 on DDR2 1000 is actually pretty nice specs!

He won't be able to do that with an intel chipset motherboard. Memory speed is linked directly to the FSB and cannot be "unlinked".

You need to find the memory speed settings in your bios. Upping the voltage only gives them enough juice to be able to run at higher speeds.

encorp

He won't be able to do that with an intel chipset motherboard. Memory speed is linked directly to the FSB and cannot be "unlinked".

You need to find the memory speed settings in your bios. Upping the voltage only gives them enough juice to be able to run at higher speeds.

Oh I see!

my bad, havn't had an intel chipset in a dogs age! haha

BALISTX

My G.Skill PC2-8500 ran at 800MHz, you have to change your memory multiplier in your BIOS. What is the FSB you are running. You should have the following mem multis to choose from.

2 - 2.4 - 2.5 - 3.0 - 3.2 - 3.3 - 4.0

You may have others. So just take the FSB you are running at and choose one of those mutlis. For example if you are running at a FSB of 333 then chose the 3.0x multi and your memory will be running at 999MHz which is as close to the 1000MHz rating that you will get. Now check your memory and see what the rated voltage is for that speed. It's probably going to be 2.0v

CactusJoe

I tried 2 things

1- I tried to change the FSB and or multiplier

I do not have a picture, so here we go.
"Set memory frequency by DRAM SPD data
(G)MCH strapping

x.xxA->FSB266MHZ
x.xxB->FSB333MHZ
x.xxC->FSB200MHZ
x.xxD->FSB400MHZ"
Basicly, I tried every possible combination and I still can't go over 800. 800 is actually the "best" combination. Which is quite annoying because If I can't get my ram to work to 1000mhz, then I bought it for nothing.

2- I increased the voltage to 2.0V
Cpu-z is not monitoring any significant change. But, instead of telling me my ram works @ 400mhz, it says its 400.1! haha..

"Type DDR2
Channels Dual
4096 bytes
DCmode Symetric
DRAM frequency 400.1Mhz
FSB:DRAM 1:2
Timings 5
12"

So, what should I do?
I really want my ran to work @ 1000mhz :p

PS: I'll try to include pics tomorrow if required

enaberif

Listen to me.

You don't need to run your memory at 1000mhz.

Just let it run at a 1:1 ratio and call it a day.

People buy memory because its cheap but in reality people generally don't need anything more than pc2-6400 memory.

BALISTX

In the BIOS for the System Memory Multiplier what are the options listed? Are you running your FSB at 333?

enaberif

In the BIOS for the System Memory Multiplier what are the options listed? Are you running your FSB at 333?

Regardless he'll never get 1000mhz.

Hey may get 850, 950, or 1010 or something of that nature depending on what your ratio is. But unless you run a nvidia chipset you'll never get exactly 1000mhz.

Latest posts