What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

G-sync firmware update to work with AMD cards

draemn

Does anyone know if it is possible to get firmware yourself to upgrade g-sync monitors to work with AMD cards?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I just researched this. The TLDR is there are 3 versions of Gsync;

1) Gsync supported (Software V-Sync)
2) Gsync v1.0 (Hardware Vsync, AKA original G-Sync)
3) Gsync v2.0 (newer hardware vsync)

1 and 3 are AMD supported. If your monitor is Gsync 1.0, there wont be a firmware update for AMD freesync support.

There are articles out saying that the 'old' Gsync cards would get updated. To date that has not happened. Adaptive sync requires compliance with a DP implementation, which Gen 1 Gsync doesnt have apparently.

draemn

I've heard reports of a couple monitors running the gsync v1 working with AMD cards, such as the AW3420DW that rtings.com tested. But dell is clear that this isn't officially supported and they only support gsync with nvidia cards if you need technical support. So the original gsync are capable with a firmware update from what I've researched. Are you saying that it would be limited to HDMI on the v1 monitors?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
A monitor will 'work with' anything. Adding in sync is different; Adaptive sync is DP 1.2a only, it has nothing to do with HDMI.

Gsync is hardware pushing to other outputs. This is one of the reasons that v1 wont work with adaptive sync without a firmware update.

(Also, the 20dw has 2.0 gsync in it.)

draemn

By work I meant the adaptive sync (i.e. freesync). Hmmm, I thought the AW3420DW was the passive not active cooled gsync modle, which I think of as v1.

masterdev

A monitor will 'work with' anything. Adding in sync is different; Adaptive sync is DP 1.2a only, it has nothing to do with HDMI.

Gsync is hardware pushing to other outputs. This is one of the reasons that v1 wont work with adaptive sync without a firmware update.

(Also, the 20dw has 2.0 gsync in it.)
Thanks for the answer @Sagath!

I have the AW3420DW and was wondering, if I can buy an AMD 6800 XT or 6900 XT. Anything NVidia is impossible to find at this time.
I have this nice monitor and can't utilize it to its full capacity at the moment with my 1070.

Now, I can start looking around for 6900 XT.

I was searching quite awhile for that info. The NVidia G-Sync monitor support list doesn't say what G-Sync version the monitor is : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Great question by the OP.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I changed out my Old Dell for a new S3220DGF that works with gsync and freesync though it says gsync compatible in NV control panel.

LasagnosaurusRex

I have the AW3420DW and was wondering, if I can buy an AMD 6800 XT or 6900 XT. Anything NVidia is impossible to find at this time.
Hello @masterdev

I have the AW3420DW and a RX570. I was amazed when I realized that I could use the GSYNC feature with my old AMD card after using my screen for weeks with fixed framerate.

You just have to turn on variable framerate in AMD's software setting and the screen will show that GSYNC mode is detected in the Display info (available through the physical monitor buttons).

masterdev

Hello @masterdev

I have the AW3420DW and a RX570. I was amazed when I realized that I could use the GSYNC feature with my old AMD card after using my screen for weeks with fixed framerate.

You just have to turn on variable framerate in AMD's software setting and the screen will show that GSYNC mode is detected in the Display info (available through the physical monitor buttons).
This is great news! Thank you so much!
This is the info that I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Latest posts