What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Galaxy GTX 670, infinite boot loop with 3 monitors plugged in

bigFOIG

Just got my Galaxy GTX 670 and looks great! Love the "GEFORCE GTX" letters. Anywho, I'm getting an infinite boot loop when I hit the loading windows screen, but only if I have 3 monitors plugged in. I took forever trying to fix the problem because I didn't know what was causing it. Reset CMOS, took off all unnecessary USB's, and finally found out that it was the third monitor. Any help?

bigFOIG

My monitors are all the same. Same resolution, same refresh rate, same everything. Thanks for the reply though.

GalaxyTech

Manufacturer Rep
Does it work fine with just a single display hooked up? Do you run into any issues when plugging in the 2nd and 3rd displays after Windows has finished booting up? Also, which port is that third display connected to and what drivers are you running?

bigFOIG

I have the newest drivers installed. Downloaded straight from the nVidia website. After booting up, I can plug in more displays, but they will not work in surround mode. So I can have them "extended" by windows settings. When I go into nvidia control panel and click surround and apply, then I get an instant reboot.

bigFOIG

I'm starting suspect my power supply is not enough, but I'm pretty sure a 650w psu should be enough for a single GTX 670. These things are super power efficient right? :p

Dzzope

Shouldn't be the PSU.. Sounds like a driver problem really.

Have you tried each of the DVI ports indivually? or is the problem only when you use surround (that is you can use 3 monitors but not in the surround setting)

The drivers are the beta drivers or release?

JJThomp

Sounds like drivers to me too... try some beta drivers from nvidia, maybe surround is not yet supported on the drivers you are using for the 670. Also it is not.your psu otherwise you would reboot more randomly or whenever you load it.

bigFOIG

301.34 drivers, which are not beta. These are the only drivers released for my card. And I can use the 3 monitors regularly it seems, but only 2 can be plugged in when booting. When in windows, I can plug the third one in "extend mode". If I try to surround, then I get an automatic restart.

sswilson

Staff member
Do you have access to a slightly larger PSU? Sounds strange that the draw on your card for an extra monitor would put it over the limit, but it'd be nice to rule it out. Those HX units are still a single rail unit right? Basically the same as the HX series only modular? I'd still try a different PCIe connector / header just to be sure.

Are the monitors exactly the same make/model? Have you tried switching around which monitors are connected to which connectors? Maybe one of them is doing something funky when it's set as the primary boot display (I'm assuming that multi monitor setups still only display on one monitor for the post).