What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Game Sale PSA

Lysrin

If you are interested in space sims Elite: Dangerous is on Steam sale for 67% off, going for $17.15 CDN! That is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

Warning 1: Tricky time to buy Elite with the holiday release of season 2 Horizons coming. If you buy Elite now at this price you still need to buy Horizons when it launches to get the planetary landings functionality (which is looking amazing btw). However if you wait until Horizons launches to buy then you get everything for that price, season 1 and Horizons. Given what I have seen of Horizons I think I would wait and have it all. But if you don't want to wait the game as it currently stands is great value IMO and for less than $20 to try it out? Pretty decent.

Warning 2: It can end up costing you a lot of money if you get into buying joysticks and throttles and head tracking hardware or VR headsets and voice control software and... :bleh:

Prickly007

Thanks for the suggestions; however, I never spend more than $7.49 on any one game during a Steam sale. I'll probably pick up the normal edition of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, it should provide a few hours of entertainment.

sswilson

Staff member
Went ahead and grabbed the Civ Beyond Earth bundled with Starships @ $18.50. Figure I can't really lose at under $20, and I don't really want the DLC prior to playing the original game since the CIV DLC often seems to be a game changer as opposed to just addition.

FreeKnight

GOG.com has started it's winter sale and there's a number of pretty solid deals propping up. Great time to grab stuff like Shadowrun Dragonfall, or other smaller games you mulled over but passed on for full price;

https://www.gog.com

They're also doing a $3.00 Mystery sale, I tried it and what I got was 'Anodyne', which I've never heard of so I don't know if it was a score or not haha. If anyone else grabs the 'mystery' game, post with what you ended up with.

Prickly007

If you received a code for Batman: Arkham Knight with your GPU, check your Steam Library.... Arkham Asylum GOTY, Arkham City GOTY, Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition were recently added to mine.

Any of them any good?

FreeKnight

The first Arkham Asylum game was decent if you like action-y 3D platformers. Combat's pretty simple plays a bit like a Capcom action game with 3D finding/puzzles added in. If I had to call it anything I guess it'd be an action game with Zelda-ish aspects.

Arkham City was generally held as the best of the series (it's the second installment), I only played about an hour of it myself, just haven't gone back to it yet. The Origins game was done by a different studio and is generally held to be worse than the other 2.

sswilson

Staff member
I didn't get into Beyond Earth very much. It seemed good, a lot like a Civ V 1.5, but the tech/science trees don't seem very intuitive, so I had trouble deciding how to progress my sciences. I'll go back and take a decent stab at it eventually, but it didn't 'feel' Civ enough to make me sit down and play it for hours (and hours, and hours....) at first go, which isn't my usual Civ experience.
Put a sci-fi wrapper on Civ V, add some annoying-as-hell green go and throw in a nonsensical tech tree and you have Beyond Earth. They could have done so much with it but got lazy.
Went ahead and grabbed the Civ Beyond Earth bundled with Starships @ $18.50. Figure I can't really lose at under $20, and I don't really want the DLC prior to playing the original game since the CIV DLC often seems to be a game changer as opposed to just addition.
Yeah, the tree doesn't make any bloody sense to me at all. First game in and my health is crap (looks to be a direct replacement for happiness) but I honestly can't see anywhere to select that would allow me to build health improvements.

Caldezar

If you're even remotely interested in Beyond Earth, then you should check out "Pandora: First Contact". It's everything that Beyond Earth should have been, and SO much more! Not on sale atm, but $29.99 on Steam.

Latest posts

Twitter