What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

gaming headsets have really gone hi-fi!

Entz

I will say though, at the time if I was looking between the HE400s + needing to buy a new modmic. I would of likely gone with the Mobius since the price was similar.... Still im going to stick with my midclass 400s and be happy lol

Lysrin

yes...there is truth in that ignorance is bliss for many a think and it definitely applies to audio. I honestly never thought that you would be able to tell how good a $4000 headphone would be. I was wrong...so wrong! that said, having that moment...the epiphany when you hear audio for the first time, it's one of those moments in life you will never forget. so while ignorance is bliss...it's also a great disservice to yourself. ;)

Agreed... but for now not to my wallet! 😁

Entz, what eventually pushed me away from my modmic was the extra cord (even with the clips that were clever) and the quality of the cord. I found it cumbersome. But I believe they improved the cord on the latest version; I had an original gen modmic.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
you can get a mod mic that's USB now, which I would favor if I was going that direction. however, I don't game or anything anymore, so don't need such a thing. that was one of my big turnoff's for the LCD-GX, it's got a wart on the headphone for the removable microphone. ruins it's lines. granted it's really a small quibble being they're open back, so not something I would take with me when I went out.

Entz

Agreed... but for now not to my wallet! 😁

Entz, what eventually pushed me away from my modmic was the extra cord (even with the clips that were clever) and the quality of the cord. I found it cumbersome. But I believe they improved the cord on the latest version; I had an original gen modmic.
Yeah I agree it is a bit of a pain. I used to tie mine to the headphone cord so it worked okayish. I don't group online game much anymore either TBH, so not having a permanent thing is nice as well.

Entz

I do have a confession to make, including some irony about the Bluetooth thing. Yes the quality is worse, yes I am a horrible person for using it but wireless is nice some times. The headphones I use the most, like 90% of the time, are actually Bose QuietComfort 35 II and not the HE400s. and the best part ... I am actually 100% okay with that.

Noise cancelling is amazing. Air-conditioning in my place is wall units and they are not exactly quiet. Super easy to use them on my TV (Seriously amazing how far CEC has come with moving audio around from different devices). All the time with my Tablet, cord to switch (Seriously Nintendo WHY no BT!). All in silent bliss .

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
yes, the QC35II's are spectacular for ANC! the sound is mediocre at best...but when I tested them, I was flumoxed by the ANC. I've a buddy that bought them and used them when he's going to work on transit. he let me try them and because he's part of Vancouver Opera, I asked him to start singing, which he did. I heard nothing. I pop them off my ears, opera! put them back on, silence!

the new AN700's from Bose are supposed to be spectacular too, if you don't suffer from the gremlins a new product can have when released to market. still mediocre audio, a bit better than the QC35II's, but has the legendary ANC and the phone mic is what's supposed to be spectacular, especially when compared against the WHXM3's from Sony, the 'other' popular ANC headphone out there.

Entz

Yeah it works amazingly well. I got them for free ...ish. Only cost me $37K :ROFLMAO: but they have turned out to be a god send. Yeah they are horrible in comparison to the HE400s. Which I would prefer to use but open backs are a no-go. Maybe if they were closed, but then again that messes with soundstage so meh. The ability to just hit go and have everything connected to my Amp get redirected to my TV go over BT is crazy convenient.

Now in the colder months and at home (People just hate open backs in public lol)... HE all the way.

Lpfan4ever

we've got an answer! M0N replied saying that these closed back options have good soundstage and imaging:
- ModHouse Argon MK3
- Focal Elegia
- Neumann ND20
- Beyerdynamic T5P
- Audioquest Nightowl

- Modified T50RP, most mobile devices aren't going to be handling those correctly. The price is reasonable, but ETA of 9 weeks build time? Ouch.
- $900 USD
- More reasonable at $500 USD, but that's still pricey
- Hard to tell price for sure, but looking at ~$1k USD
- Again, more reasonable at $500 CAD, but looks like it was discontinued

You are right, the compromise is almost always in your wallet. Closed headphones can sound fantastic, but you typically pay out the nose to match open ones in sound stage. I don't know about other peoples' finances, but considering the price of those headphones are matching some peoples' PC costs, it's hard to recommend to most people. Plus you need to add matching hardware (DAC, amp, etc) to make use of these audiophile headphones. I will admit that as much as I dislike wireless for audio, the plus side is being plug and play without needing to add more audio gear to drive them.

Latest posts