What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gaming Laptop

Bond007

sswilson

Staff member
I'd strongly recommend getting hands-on input from the end user before considering a 17" laptop. The great majority of folks I've talked to who've bought a 17" laptop have regretted it afterwards (myself included).
Thanks for the replies guys!

The 17" is not a deal breaker, I just thought if I could find a 17" for a decent price I would get it. Why do you not like the 17"? 15" is not too bad anyway, that is what my old laptop is.
Was talking to her parents tonight and she wants a 17" Alienware or an Omen. She wants the 17" because her current laptop is 17". She told her father she needs RAM to play games and I told him the video card is more important than RAM. Mom then says no she said RAM, he said listen to the guy who has 20-30 years experience playing games and not the 14 year kid. Lol.

Those Eurocoms look decent but can get very expensive.

I looked at the Alienware 17" models and the one that is $2100 has i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM and 128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD. The model below is only $100 cheaper and you lose the SSD and 8GB RAM, well worth the extra $100. I told them you can get a better deal than an Alienware as you are paying a little extra for the name, but they are still thinking about it. I think I saw some MSIs with about the same specs for a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

I assume the Alienwares are decent rigs, anyone try those Omens?

Thanks again!
Sorry, I missed your original query WRT "why not 17" "?

It comes down to how unwieldy a 17" laptop is, and since she's already got a 17" and is comfortable with it, it shouldn't be an issue.

JD

Staff member
Random question, does anyone own a MSI laptop? Are they as well built as Alienware? I feel like my AW could endure some abuse because everything on it feels solid and of quality material.

I guess it depends how careful she is with her electronics and if it doesn't leave her desk, then it's likely not a big deal. If she's carrying to her friends house every day/week, then you probably want to spend a bit more to ensure it's a durable laptop.

superFlint

Cool. All I can do is tell them and let them decide if they want to spend the extra money I guess. How long of a wait is it for an Alienware computer to be built and shipped? Black Friday too late to order?

Thanks.

SugarJ

Staff member
Most of the Alienware 17 models look like they will ship in 1-3 business days. The super expensive model is 8-11 business days.

Soultribunal

Staff member
The Alienwares are good rigs, waiting for mine and Soultribunal just bought his 2nd. There's cheaper options for sure, but I like the Dell warranty and backup if you need it. I haven't heard anything bad about the Omens but haven't heard a lot of raving either.
Dell Warranty at least on their Alienware side has been spectacular support even for just questions.

My First AW Laptop was the 17 R4 and it is still going strong into it's 3rd year of service. They are very well built and durable. Yes their pricing isn't as good as other options, but they are easy to work in (for RAM and SSD upgrades / Replacements).

Right now should be black Friday so if there is a time to buy, I would do so soon.

I for one, going to a 17" Laptop , can't go back now. The real estate alone is worth it, and these are really desktop replacements versus ultra portable devices.

I would recommend it for sure.

The whole reason I bought into the brand a second time, was just how rock solid the first system was, and the level of software configuration on the device that is supported by the manufacturer.

I can say with almost certainty , that when it's upgrade time again, I'll go back to them.

-ST

superFlint

They went with the Alienware. It was on for $400 off at $1700. Was looking at other gaming laptops and they were all the same price or more for an older CPU and the 1060 6GB. The AW got the latest CPU and a 1070 in it, plus a SSD drive. I figured it was going to cost more than the other gaming laptops but it was cheaper and with better hardware.

Thanks all for the help too!

Soultribunal

Staff member
They went with the Alienware. It was on for $400 off at $1700. Was looking at other gaming laptops and they were all the same price or more for an older CPU and the 1060 6GB. The AW got the latest CPU and a 1070 in it, plus a SSD drive. I figured it was going to cost more than the other gaming laptops but it was cheaper and with better hardware.

Thanks all for the help too!
Awesome, I am sure they will love it!

The new Command Centre is a big step up (R4 to R5) in the newest generation.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter