What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gaming monitor advise

dante1

My son was fixated on the Dell monitor. He figured that he will have this monitor for many years to come. He’s 13 and can’t tell him otherwise. 🙄

sswilson

Staff member
I'm still really looking at the LG monitor.... :)

Would an 8ms response time make much difference when compared to 5ms? Pinball is a reaction game, but it's also a "memory muscle" game so I'm thinking that the brain would adjust to any slight delay over time...

Thoughts?

edit: Hrmmm..... the costco page says 5ms GTG which is the same as the ASUS I just bought....... Pretty sure I pulled the 8ms off of a review somewhere.

lowfat

Staff member
I'm still really looking at the LG monitor.... :)

Would an 8ms response time make much difference when compared to 5ms? Pinball is a reaction game, but it's also a "memory muscle" game so I'm thinking that the brain would adjust to any slight delay over time...

Thoughts?

edit: Hrmmm..... the costco page says 5ms GTG which is the same as the ASUS I just bought....... Pretty sure I pulled the 8ms off of a review somewhere.
What you want to look at is input latency. Anything less than about 16 would is generally ok. That would be about 1FPS @ 60Hz.

The LG I linked is 10ms according to the manufacturer.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... well I hope Staples' 30 day return policy is valid for monitors... they carve out 14 days for computers/laptops but I'll keep my fingers crossed that monitors aren't included in that.

I'm selling off a tiller that's been sitting unused in my shed for the last 6 years... that'll make up the difference between the 27"/1080p and the 32"/1440 :)

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... the dirty deed is done. Hopefully the guy who said he wanted the tiller doesn't back out. :)

If Staples doesn't want to take the monitor back I'm sure I can sell it used @ a $25 loss.

clshades

For 500 you can get a decent 1080p high refresh. That's what matters. You're knocking on gsync monitors. I wouldn't pay 500+ for anything less.