What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gaming monitor advise

sswilson

Staff member
Pinball is static for the most part. I wouldn't enjoy it in FPS.
Not trying to start an argument, but I have to ask... what did folks do when the best they could get was possibly overclocking their 60hz monitor to 75/80hz?

I'm not a FPS player, let alone somebody who plays competitavely , and it makes sense to me that a higher frequency response is going to be a big deal when competing against other players, especially when a big part of the game play is an almost "instinctive" reaction to something like movement at the corner of your FOV. If you see it first because your monitor is displaying it quicker than your opponent then I can understand how that's an advantage.

Is it just that it was acceptable when everybody was responding to 60hz and that now it's a disadvantage if you're not getting the same refresh rate as the competition? Back "in the day" when 60hz was it, did overclocking your response rate give a player a definitive advantage?

lowfat

Staff member
That display can do 75Hz iirc. You can increase past that w/ Nvidia control panel if you use it. But you need to check for dropped frames.

sswilson

Staff member
It is rated for 75hz and I was able to set that in Nvidia control panel. Not sure I need to overclock it for pinball which is the only thing this monitor is going to be doing.

On a slightly related note..... I noticed that the only WinX 2004 PC in my household (my laptop) no longer has monitor control in Nvidia control panel... that's been taken over by windows settings and while the windows settings seem to have properly pegged my monitor @ 120hz, I don't see any way in the windows graphics setting to change that, or fix it if it was wrong...... Is this the push to the dreaded windows store graphics drivers that so far have failed to impress?

clshades

Not trying to start an argument, but I have to ask... what did folks do when the best they could get was possibly overclocking their 60hz monitor to 75/80hz?

I'm not a FPS player, let alone somebody who plays competitavely , and it makes sense to me that a higher frequency response is going to be a big deal when competing against other players, especially when a big part of the game play is an almost "instinctive" reaction to something like movement at the corner of your FOV. If you see it first because your monitor is displaying it quicker than your opponent then I can understand how that's an advantage.

Is it just that it was acceptable when everybody was responding to 60hz and that now it's a disadvantage if you're not getting the same refresh rate as the competition? Back "in the day" when 60hz was it, did overclocking your response rate give a player a definitive advantage?
Totally not arguing 👍 I just know what I know.
There's a little more to it than seeing someone 1st. You'll get blurring and frame skipping issues in close and completely miss shots. Or dropped frames from fast 180's. There's also been some tests done years ago for actual bullets fired being dropped completely and or not registering. Faster PC wins.

In the end the smoother the frames are the better. If I was a pro gamer I'd be highly invested in a good monitor. Even as a weekend warrior I still want that edge.

sswilson

Staff member
I wonder if I bought the last of those LG units.... link at costco no longer works.

Pity... there's really nothing else out there at comparable features / pricing.

draemn

I'm still running 60hz and I've never had an issue playing FPS games like battlefield, L4D, Warframe... Dunno if it's my eyeballs or just the fact that I don't care about pretending I'm a pro gamer. When I played regularly, it wouldn't matter if I had some "edge" with a faster monitor & GPU because of the freaking issues with ping/latency on the internet connection. Damn rubber banding with 70-90 ping. (edit: Skill is a much larger part of the equation than your PC hardware)

I can't give a fair comparison since I've never played over 60hz, but I can tell you that playing on a console at 30fps (or on PC when your fps drops below 45) is painful.