What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gaming monitor advise

clshades

Giving up huge quality in gaming going for a cheap 32 instead of a high quality 24. If the kid is knocking on pro gaming ladders performance comes 1st. Having played in those types of competitions. This is what I view as longevity.

I paid huge for a 120hz CRT back in the day.

sswilson

Staff member
Giving up huge quality in gaming going for a cheap 32 instead of a high quality 24. If the kid is knocking on pro gaming ladders performance comes 1st. Having played in those types of competitions. This is what I view as longevity.

I paid huge for a 120hz CRT back in the day.

Oh... we're talking two different things here... pretty sure the OP's son decided on the Dell mentioned earlier (https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories) which has great specs but is a VA panel. The ongoing discussion was me buying one to use as a playing field for pinball....

dante1

My son is only 13 and he will never be a pro gamer! He’s going to be a doctor! 😉
Anyway, I went over it with him and he doesn’t want to listen to the voice of reason and use the extra $200 to buy a gaming keyboard and mouse. He thinks he will have an edge on his friends playing fortnite and Rainbow Six Seige.

clshades

clshades

My son is only 13 and he will never be a pro gamer! He’s going to be a doctor! 😉
Anyway, I went over it with him and he doesn’t want to listen to the voice of reason and use the extra $200 to buy a gaming keyboard and mouse. He thinks he will have an edge on his friends playing fortnite and Rainbow Six Seige.
I competed for hardware in the old quake3 Rocket arena 3 ladders, including several lan events. Mouse and keyboards make a huge difference, particularly keyboards with the rollover protection. (multiple simultaneous keyboard strikes actually respond) this was essential for strafe jumping or the keyboard would lock out mid jump and you're fragged.

You are right to argue with him about it. Previously, I was top 10 in the world for quake 2 deathmatch, and top three in North America in team RA3. Monitor, keyboard, and mouse came 1st graphics can be adjusted for speed.

sswilson

Staff member
Ah crap. Missed that sorry dude.

No problem, if anything I took the thread off topic. On a related off-topic note.... I checked my local Costco to see if they had a better price on the 32" and was surprised to find that they had a 32" LG IPS priced at $260! Then I noticed it was the same basic model but FHD (1080p) instead of QHD. Glad I was paying attention. :)

sswilson

Staff member
I know there's a lot of dispute as to whether or not a 75hz refresh rate is good enough for a gaming monitor these days, but I have to say... as a pinball play field, that 32" LG is amazing! :)

Latest posts