What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gamingpc.ca - pre built customizations advice

Cptn Vortex

In fairness to the OP....

The great majority of folks here are hardware savvy and for the most part enjoy building PCs.... OTOH, there is a market out there for boutique built PCs. Some folks want the look but don't have the patience (or inclination) to build their own.

I'm sure the hardware for a custom hard tube loop runs $300 - $400 so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that a retail price (including labour) would be bumping up against the $1K range just for the custom WC option.

Back in "the day" I used to rail against the prices being charged for boutique builds, but then got a glimpse at what murdermods was offering (starting at around $4K) and came around to seeing how they could look like good value when done right.

I haven't had a look at the original link to see the quality of their work, but don't think we should blindly reject the idea if the OP wants to go that route.

Yea there's an overhead for boutique builds like that. And think closer to over $1k after all the radiators, fans, and Water blocks nowadays for custom loop!

I would also recommend, if you are not inclined to work on your machine ever, stick with the big OEMs for a gaming rig, Dell, HP Omen, Lenovo legion etc, as they provide on-site support in most cases. Otherwise be ready to lug your machine to and from the reseller if you ever encounter issues.

Now that being said, I'm all for custom building and watercooling, just get a feeling for the builder first, that's important!

Lpfan4ever

I see your point @sswilson, and I agree there's a market for it, but no open loop WC is going to last years without needing maintenance. If OP is not comfortable building a PC themselves, I highly doubt they will be comfortable draining a loop and tearing apart blocks. Now a closed loop cooler could make more sense since permeation doesn't become an issue for 5+ years typically. Otherwise air is the way to go for someone who wants to buy something and not have to do anything more than blast dust out.

Lysrin

I agree with @Lpfan4ever . I don't have any issue with boutique builds or expensive builds. It just seems you are taking on a lot of extra complexity and risk, especially if you don't want to handle the maintenance.

In the immortal words of Montgomery Scott, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." :D

GrinderCAN

I love watercooling, and have only had custom loop watercooled systems since 2004. They look and cool great, and I've never had a pump (D5) die or fried any components because of leaks. But they need occasional maintenance and are very expensive! Some of the parts can be reused in your next build (pump/reservoir, fittings, some tubing, maybe CPU block). But the GPU block usually only works on a specific model (and for that system, I suspect that the GPU doesn't even come with an air cooler). I have built complicated loops in the past that have had ~$1k in water cooling equipment (all EK, multiple GPUs, flow meter, custom fan controller, dual pumps, et cetera).

My point is, only go for a custom loop if you really love the look and performance and have extra cash. Otherwise, put the money in your pocket or towards other components. Even using cheaper parts, the parts and labour to set up a custom loop add significantly to the price. It is cheaper to buy a faster part than it is to buy high end cooling and overclock it. It's my hobby, and I wouldn't have air or AIO cooling, but it isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
I would honestly, for that kind of $$$$ if you are not building yourself, to go with something like a Alienware Aurora, kitted right out, with one of their nice gaming Monitors and a solid 5 Year on site warranty.
If the new Legion PC Towers are better than the last gen (Bad PSU's) then perhaps one of those too, or HP's Omen line.

They tend to be pretty bullet proof, and powerful. And You can still upgrade storage, CPU, RAM etc if you want later on.

Getting something like that with a Full custom loop will be a PITA in the future if you need to do anything in it. I've done loops, and I love it, but I stopped because the extra 5-10 degrees while cool for OC wasn't worth the pain of pulling it apart when something needed to be changed or maintained.

My thoughts at least.

-ST

clshades

4200 is insane for an Intel build, even with water cooling. I'd be gearing toward and AIO cooling setup in a case with great airflow. I built a 9900k server (runs Plex to 8 screens, security cams, various automation software etc, for far less than that. The mainboard alone was 600+.

I could build a similar performance computer for a little over 3k.

Keep in mind the 9700k's aren't always stable at 5ghz. They are rock solid at 4.8 tho.

rjbarker

In fairness to the OP....

The great majority of folks here are hardware savvy and for the most part enjoy building PCs.... OTOH, there is a market out there for boutique built PCs. Some folks want the look but don't have the patience (or inclination) to build their own.

I'm sure the hardware for a custom hard tube loop runs $300 - $400 so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that a retail price (including labour) would be bumping up against the $1K range just for the custom WC option.

Back in "the day" I used to rail against the prices being charged for boutique builds, but then got a glimpse at what murdermods was offering (starting at around $4K) and came around to seeing how they could look like good value when done right.

I haven't had a look at the original link to see the quality of their work, but don't think we should blindly reject the idea if the OP wants to go that route.

Well said.......although the OP wants and likes the Custom Water build, doesnt necessarily mean the OP has the patience or confidence to build a Custom PC (particular water cooled) .....but still wants one,,,,no biggie.....$4.2K isnt at all out of line for what he wants ...not at all!!!...just WC'ing alone...Pump, res...fittings..cpu block...gpu block...rads....tubing...fluid...leds...etc etc etc....it adds up fast!!

FreeKnight

Well said.......although the OP wants and likes the Custom Water build, doesnt necessarily mean the OP has the patience or confidence to build a Custom PC (particular water cooled) .....but still wants one,,,,no biggie.....$4.2K isnt at all out of line for what he wants ...not at all!!!...just WC'ing alone...Pump, res...fittings..cpu block...gpu block...rads....tubing...fluid...leds...etc etc etc....it adds up fast!!
I don't disagree, if it's just a matter of 'my time being worth X so I'd rather have someone else build it' is fine. I think most of us just want to make sure OP knows that if they're not confident in doing it themselves, there's a decent risk that they'll have to do some work to a WC system themselves anyway, at the very least draining, flushing and filling.

Nothing wrong with a prebuilt if you've got no issue taking it apart yourself later, but don't want to invest the time or tools into bending yourself. It's just important to realize a WC PC is like a car, there's maintenance involved that will require a minimum level of skill.

Though the site OP linked to makes me chuckle with their 'custom windows tuning and efficiency talk'.

Urotsukidoji

Hi all, first I want to thank everyone for their input, you guys are great. Second, sorry I kind of disappeared. The $ I thought I would have to spend went to…. Well, life.

But now I’m back, bonus cheque in hand and ready to commit.

So for those wondering, no, water-cooling is not important. I was just looking at high-end machines. It appears that it would be way more trouble than it’s worth for me, so I’m specifically staying away from it. I’m in Mississauga ON, so I’ll probably end up dealing with Canada Computers, or Extreme PC (Guelph – but very close to me).

Here is what I’m thinking now, 9 months after my OP. My main goal is a kick-ass gaming PC that will last. I’ve had my current rig for a almost a decade, and I probably will not get a chance to buy another for a similar amount of time, so this thing has to be able to stand the test of time. What else do I do on my PC? Regular stuff, but I do a lot of DVD burning, and CD ripping (I have an extensive CD collection, 4,000 +)

So here are my current thoughts, let me know if I’m way off, or wasting my $

CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 5950X 16 Core – 32 Threads 3.4Ghz – 4.9Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX X570 (I believe recommended in this thread)

RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RBG 128 GB (4X32GB) – I know this seems excessive, 64 GB would prob be fine, but my thoughts are for the long term.

CASE: Not sure here, appearance not really that important to me, more functionality. The main issue is that it needs to be able to accommodate an internal CD/DVD writer, which many new cases apparently do not.

POWER SUPPLY: I assume I should go 750W? Or is that overkill?

CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-L9A-AM4 LOW PROFILE COOLER (I have no idea on this, was just part of the high end rig @ Extreme PC)

PRIMARY HD: CORSAIR FORCE GEN 4 NVME SSD 2TB

SECONDARY HD: WESTERN DIGITAL HDD 10TB SATA (I have a lot of stuff, current rig has 3 internal 750 Gig, and 2 external 1T drives attached)

OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS CD/DVD WRITER (as noted earlier, this is important to me, BLU-Ray not needed)

VIDEO CARD: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO Video Card 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 (guidance on this pick is most welcome)

SOUNDCARD: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Fx 24B 192kHz 5.1 (I have a 5 speaker / sub woofer set up, but don’t think I need to spend that much here)

Pricing this out at a few places puts the cost at the $5,600 range

…..so what of the above is a waste of time, and what am I missing?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I would go with the ASUS Dark Hero X570 motherboard instead.

What speed is that RAM? Ideally you'd want at least 3600MHz but you should be able to do 3800-4000MHz with Zen 3.

CPU cooler, not sure why you'd go with a low profile cooler unless you end up with a really small case. I don't think that would even cool a 5950X properly. If sticking to Noctua, something like the NH-D15, U14, or U12 instead.

PSU, I'd do 750W as minimum, just in case you upgrade the video card down the road.

Onboard sound is fine, Sound Blaster Audigy doesn't even work with Windows 10 as far as I know.

Latest posts

Twitter