What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gamingpc.ca - pre built customizations advice

clshades

Fair enough; especially, as I got caught by the switch to air, rather than helium, filled drives. Still not a reason to buy WD Blacks though.

But Sagath, like Cosmo Karmer and H&H Bagels, I am still boycotting Seagate for the number of their drives that died on my back in the day. lol
Failure rate on cheap drives is always higher. I've had Seagate drive issues in the past. The drives I linked above are not cheap.

Urotsukidoji

Last edited:

Prickly007

If Red, I assume we are taking Red Pro?

What are the drives being used for? Music/Video/Photos? Mission critical files? How much does noise matter, i.e. do you sleep in the same room as the computer?

WD Red can mean Red (crap), Red Plus or Red Pro.

As to the Seagate drives, based on appearance, I am guessing air (cheaper) vs helium filled.

djbrad

Got a 10tb WD100EFAX in one htpc 24/7, silent and never disturbed us. In fact, our previous cogeco pvr made more noise.

I am in the seagate boycott club, somes others are in the WD one. But I think they are now both doing great.

If noise is a concern, buy a 5400 rpm drive.

Urotsukidoji

What are the drives being used for? Music/Video/Photos? Mission critical files? How much does noise matter, i.e. do you sleep in the same room as the computer?

The drives would be storing music (lots) / vids / photos / movies / other random stuff .... maybe game data if the 2TB primary drive gets close to full - Noise is not super important, the PC is in the family room, so not sleeping near it, but we do watch TV right near it. Current one has always been a bit noisy with it's drives & fans etc.

Urotsukidoji

The last piece (the Dark Hero MOBO) is in :D . Had to settle for a 3070, but I got my 5900X, and everything else I picked.

I have added this as well, 'cause hey, why the hell not;

G34WQC 34in Curved WQHD 144Hz VA Gaming LED LCD w/ HDR400
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00113791

I'm coming from an 13 year old ASUS PA246Q, 24.1" LCD IPS, 1920x1200, 60Hz. My particular desk set up was not going to mesh with a 32" 16x9 or a larger 16x9 monitor (it would have to sit very high). I have this thing;

The bottom of my current monitor sits just level to the bottom of those top side shelves, and just fits in between them. So a new monitor any bigger needs to go just over those shelves, and the ultra wide, adds virtually no height in comparison. So I just need to have my new monitor sit an inch higher than where my current one stands, and I should be good to go. So not gaining any real viewing hieght, but it should give me some wow factor with the games that can play properly in the extra wide format.

Urotsukidoji

Well, this thing is a revelation, and I have not even played a game yet! (Doom 2016 is downloading now). This thing is so fast with every application, its unreal, and whisper quite to boot! The ultra wide screen was a great last minute splurge IMHO, just awesome. Gotta thank all the members who gave advice, and for pointing me to Mem Express (they were amazing to deal with). Next up, the gaming report!
image0.jpegimage2.jpeg

Latest posts