What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Garden advice for keeping pests away.

danmitch1

Hey guys, Im reading several tricks online as to how to keep pests in particular squirrels and raccoons, from eating your fruits and veggies in your garden.
Id like to know your tried and tested tricks, what worked what didnt work..

Ive got a small raised bed garden.. some kale, some arugula and basil. I built a chicken wire cover over it and its nice and safe.

My concern is the one tomato plant out side of that in a large pot. I didnt build anything around it and im happy I didnt because Im positive I would not have guessed the right size of an enclosure for it... Its a beefsteak variety and is pushing 6 feet tall !

Its starting to fruit and im getting worried about the hungry/thirsty critters who lurk around.
At this point, its most likely done growing and will concentrate on the fruit but im not sure I feel like building an enclosure for it. I have chicken wire left but not enough for such a large plant and I cant justify buying a 25' roll for the project either.

So im reading that making a cayenne pepper tea and spraying that on the plant will help.
Im reading that if you leave water out near the plant might help to quench the critters thirst.
Then, there are some that build little cages around the tomatoes them selves as opposed to the entire plant.

Have any of you guys tried this, or any other clever tricks?

moocow

How big of critters are we talking about? I'm in the North Shore area of Greater Vancouver and I seen people put up large / tall wire fencing to keep out deer but not sure how well that worked since they could hop over. I had bears punch thru a wooden fence to get my neighbor's apple tree a few years back.

danmitch1

How big of critters are we talking about? I'm in the North Shore area of Greater Vancouver and I seen people put up large / tall wire fencing to keep out deer but not sure how well that worked since they could hop over. I had bears punch thru a wooden fence to get my neighbor's apple tree a few years back.
Whoa! Those are much larger critters than I will to find in my yard (I hope lol!).
Im talking squirrels and raccoons basically.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Chipmunks are way more destructive towards garden veggies I found, at least when I was living in Ontario. And you cant stop those fuckers unless you trap or kill them. I'm very glad we dont have squirrels/coons or chipmunks out here in 'Berta. My garden is even more glad :LOL:

Not sure where you live, but if its only squirrels or 'coons, I wouldnt even bother for tomatoes. Id be surprised if they go for them. 'Coons would rather a trashbin than a tomato, unless they're starving, Id guess. I've never seen a squirrel go for anything but nuts, and treefruit (Apples) in Ontario, anyways.

danmitch1

Chipmunks are way more destructive towards garden veggies I found, at least when I was living in Ontario. And you cant stop those fuckers unless you trap or kill them. I'm very glad we dont have squirrels/coons or chipmunks out here in 'Berta. My garden is even more glad :LOL:

Not sure where you live, but if its only squirrels or 'coons, I wouldnt even bother for tomatoes. Id be surprised if they go for them. 'Coons would rather a trashbin than a tomato, unless they're starving, Id guess. I've never seen a squirrel go for anything but nuts, and treefruit (Apples) in Ontario, anyways.
I havent seen any chipmunks in my neighborhood luckily. Im over in Montreal, near downtown so not much wildlife other than squirrels raccoons and groundhogs. My brother in-law lives nearby and up on his apartment balcony he had a small batch of tomatoes completely ravaged by squirrels.. I have the squirrels in my yard too and they are currently fking up my lawn and any planters with exposed earth, digging for roots and nuts.. so im guessing its just a matter of time before they notice the juicy tomatoes hanging there.

Shadowmeph

chicken wire also keep branches trimmed away from roofs and other trees at least 20 feet because they can jump very far as for raccoon they are very smart so probably the same but still they are very smart.

danmitch1

chicken wire also keep branches trimmed away from roofs and other trees at least 20 feet because they can jump very far as for raccoon they are very smart so probably the same but still they are very smart.
Yeah that was the initial plan but I dont have enough left on the roll for such a large enclosure, didnt want to buy a 25' roll just to top off what im missing..
Im thinking maybe with my left over chicken wire I could concoct some sort of little cage for each tomato bunch.. how to mount it on the plant is the challenge !

ZZLEE

Slugs Use a beer bait they will drink and die.

Rodents use a predator urine and a electric fence.

Latest posts

Twitter