What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

General Home Automation / Home Assistant thread

zoob

We had a few threads about home automation here and there but I felt like it was sort of intrusive to other people's (lowfat's mainly -_-) threads to post about my own setup or just to ask about some general stuff. Seems like there are a few people here dabbling with this type of stuff but not enough to dedicate a whole subforum, so how about a general thread?

Here's my current setup after dabbling with it on and off for a few years. Finally got it in a presentable state.
Started with a Pi + RaZberry hat for zwave, moved to a Zstick, added on Hue, SmartThings, and finally a Zigbee sniffer. Went from openHab 1 to 2 and now to Home Assistant (HA)

Home Assistant HassOS running in a VM with the following integrations:
- Zwave via ZStick (GE/Leviton/zooz light switches & dimmers, Monoprice/Dome/Ring door/window/garage/leak sensors, water main shutoff motor)
- Philips Hue integration (requires a Hue bridge)
- Hue emulation to expose it to Amazon Alexa (requires an Echo dot, and voice control via Alexa on Sonos)
- Ecobee integration for temperature sensors (ecobee 3)
- MyQ garage door opener control
- Sonos (it can do TTS for audible notifications!)
- TPLink Kasa (HS110 power reading and switch controls, no cloud required)
- MQTT for zigbee2mqtt, airthings2mqtt, BlueIris security camera events

RPi 3B running Rasbian to read things and send to HA via MQTT
- Zigbee via Zigbee2MQTT using a CC2531 sniffer (use Hue remotes for anything, SmartThings sensors to trigger other actions)
- 433 MHz device sniffing via rtl433-to-mqtt using a RTLSDR dongle (Acurite temperature sensors, still need to fix this)
- BLE polling of Airthings sensors via a custom MQTT python script (Radon and air quality readings)

Here's my dashboard:

Long press a light switch:

Airthings sensor exposed to HA via my python script which will go up on github eventually

Inspiration for the light buttons:
- sparkydave light button card
- matt8707 light button hold-action pop up card
- using the two ideas above also made a custom button for Kasa HS110 power meter switch to toggle power / display wattage

Mini graph card for stacked graphing of temps etc:

Node-red automations:

- We have no HRV or ERV ... our house was designed to use the bathroom fan as whole home ventilation (built one year before building code required an HRV)
- When heating/cooling is on I limit it to 30 min to minimize the amount of exhausted air

Manual automations:

- Notify me via HomeAssistant app (150 free notices per day) about front door open/close, basement leak, security camera motion, washing machine done
- Smartthings motion sensor to turn on basement stair lights since my hands are generally full and the switch is in a hard to reach spot
- Hue dimmer remote on main floor to shut off all basement lights
- Hue dimmer remote to control Ikea lamp on a zwave plug-in dimmer module

Using the Hue remote you need to program each action... you can have press, or hold, or multiple presses... so it can get messy pretty quickly. I only use press.

ZWave items exposed to Alexa via emulated hue:

Please share your configs, customizations, uses, and ideas!

lowfat

Staff member
Did you have to do anything to use port 80 for the emulated hue? That port should require root access. Do they emulated hue devices also have brightness / colour control?

zoob

Nothing special for port 80 probably because I'm running HassOS. I had originally given away all my Echo Dots after going Alexa on Sonos, but it turns out you really do need at least one Dot to discover these devices.

Just tested moving a Hue Color bulb from the Hue bridge to zigbee2mqtt + HA with emulated hue. It works, but you lose the smooth fading between colours and brightness levels. Instead it's just a discrete 'step' or 'jump' to that brightness or colour.

lowfat

Staff member
A couple of weeks ago HA crashed like 3x in a 24 hour period. Nothing in the logs. Rebooted the Pi and it worked fine till yesterday. Last night it went down 4x in a matter of hours. Once again logs were not helpful at all.

So this morning I decided to once again try to move HA to my server. But had the same python issues as I did before. And now it seems they've deprecated the generic linux Supervisor / Hass.io install. So I went ahead and did a hass.io install on the Pi this morning.

Have one major issue tho. My PfSense gateway uses a ddns + Lets Encrypt. And then whenever it would renew certificates, it would send them over SCP and restart HA service via SSH. But hass.io SSH is 'fake', its actually tmux. So I can no longer send commands over ssh from PfSense to restart HA. The tmux commands that should work, don't. So whenever my certificates get updated, HA and all my automations will stop working.

Might need to figure out how to do a reverse proxy on PFSense. Seems like a lot of work tho.

Big plus w/ Hass.io is that the MariaDB addon makes it super simple to use a better database. I tried to do it twice w/ the python venv install and i gave up in frustration both times after it not converting the old database.

zoob

Hmm can you maybe do a copy to /ssl folder via Samba share and have pfsense send an mqtt command to make HA restart?

lowfat

Staff member
The certificates get copied fine w/ SCP. It just can't restart the HA core afterward. Actually you cant' do any single line command via SSH w/ Hass.io.
Code:
[2.4.4-RELEASE][[email protected]]/home/brendon: ssh -p ##### [email protected] "tmux 'hass-cli ha core restart' C-m"
unknown command: hass-cli ha core restart
however it seems i can reboot the entire machine and it works. So all good.

zoob

Just started using it? I have noticed that my graphs load faster now.
Yes only just switched to it after you mentioned. My dashboard loads super fast now, and so does the state history page of everything.

Just modified some of my sensor cards to add a "last changed" graphic since doors won't always be open, so this is much more useful:

Code:
  - entity: binary_sensor.door_front
    show_last_changed: true
Working on a new dashboard just to check security. There's some other things like auto-entities that would be neat to add a 'waterfall' event list on the main dash.

sensors.png

Latest posts

Twitter