What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

General Home Automation / Home Assistant thread

zoob

Programmed an ESP32 to listen via BLE for the Airthings Wave Plus and Wave Mini, sending stuff directly to MQTT now bypassing the Pi... the code is more stable than on the Pi (Bluetooth interface periodically malfunctioning and needs a reset). The way it scans for BLE devices is a little different than on the Pi so I need to do some more google-fu to find out how to support Wave 2 and Wave 1 devices.

These things are super fun to play with! Dev libraries are a bit different than standard Arduino so will need to figure out how to port rf69 code to the ESP32.

Also made a RF remote emulator for a ceiling fan. Used an RTLSDR dongle to pick out the exact frequency used by the remote, then used rpitx to record each button press, and wrote a python script to accept mqtt commands to trigger playback.

lowfat

Staff member
ESP32/ESP8266s are amazing little things. I have about 15 or so ESP-based devices in use. All most all of my lights and all of my sensors use them.

ESPHome especially is some sick firmware for them. Supports so many sensors / libraries. Has native integration in HA too.

zoob

After setting the one up I now understand the appeal of them. Ended up ordering a couple more today along with a couple of BME680 and Senseair S8 to see how well the BME680's eCO2 tracks to a proper sensor (S8 and Airthings Wave Plus) in my environment.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
After setting the one up I now understand the appeal of them. Ended up ordering a couple more today along with a couple of BME680 and Senseair S8 to see how well the BME680's eCO2 tracks to a proper sensor (S8 and Airthings Wave Plus) in my environment.

@Arinoth is pritty much worshiping you in modchat, so you're winning if it matters.

zoob

He was very patient during the entire setup process (HA, MQTT, RPi, dummy switches, Emulated hue to Alexa... haha).

If anyone is interested in controlling their ceiling fan that operates with similar 304 MHz remote, here are the .iq recordings for the remote on stock DIP switch settings (all up): https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfz5x287aa7t8u4/rh787t.zip?dl=0
Arinoth was able to get it working with his three speed fan.

Pleasantly surprised how well the RPi fan remote works!

(click to view the animation)

htph thumbs up.jpg

Ziploc

Oh em gee. I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm gonna see if I can get the energy monitor working in Home Assistant.

Last edited:

Ziploc

As someone who's only starting to use a Pi, do you have a link to get started receiving data from the UNO and getting it to MQTT?

zoob

As someone who's only starting to use a Pi, do you have a link to get started receiving data from the UNO and getting it to MQTT?

Hiya, clone the github here: https://github.com/zhoulander/Powermon433MQTT
Compile the .INO file and upload it to your UNO, plug it into your Pi, and edit and run the Python script to reflect your own MQTT server address.

The steps in the readme should be straight forward as long as you have a little bit of Linux experience (file editing, installing Python, finding your Arduino COM port)

If you have Home Assistant and are using the add-on store MQTT Broker make sure you follow the documentation on how to allow anonymous logins and how to setup unrestricted access to all topics via the ACL files.

zoob

Bought some BME680 ($12 each) sensors to try out, got it working in short order with the help of some GitHub resources:

Pi program to grab eCO2/bVOCe from the modified BSEC examples: https://github.com/alexh-name/bsec_bme680_linux
BSEC to MQTT HA-ready program: https://github.com/timothybrown/BSEC-Conduit
Forked version to use the newest BSEC library: https://github.com/jonizen/BSEC-Conduit

Then I merged the eCO2/bVOCe changes into the jonizen version and added my MQTT device discovery payload into it so I can see it all on one page in HA.

After power cycling the sensor it needs to recalibrate to start giving eCO2/bVOCe data. It calculates 'equivalents' (the small e) based on the resistance of the air through a small heated metal plate using some proprietary formula (magic) in the Bosch Sensortec Environmental Cluster (BSEC) software library.

For a real CO2 I have some Senseair S8 NDIR CO2 sensors ($50 each) on order and will use this to compare with the BME680 and an Airthings Wave Plus ($250) which has a Senseair S11 NDIR CO2 sensor ($85) and apparently also a BME680 for temp/humidity/pressure.

lowfat

Staff member
Could also use ESPHome. It has BME680 support. Could probably set it on on an ESP8266 in a couple of minutes.

Then could use a template like this to convert to IAQ

Latest posts